cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Simple question about vlans/trunks that will explain a lot to me

hfakoor222
Spotlight
Spotlight

So I'm doing a lab, and setting up a mpls core. I had to troubleshoot my lab as the config was wrong. So I have a connection between R6 and Switch 4, which is a trunk.  When I try to ping R6 from R1 it doesn't work. Now I change the trunk lik to an access vlan 16 link. And it works. What goes on in the packet headers to make this work now? Why before was it not sending the traffic when it was trunked and now it's okay with an access vlan 16?

I'm okay with a general explanation, as to why in genral this happened, there's too much going on in the lab for me to post everything. here's a screenshot, and the 3 device configs below. A general explanation helps me because i've always had trouble with trunking and access links from switches to routers, in wrapping my head around what happens when the traffic is being passed.  I.e: here's what I got from google:

An access port can connect a terminal device that does not support VLAN packets or is used in scenarios that do not distinguish VLANs. Trunk—A trunk port can forward packets from multiple VLANs. Except packets from the port VLAN ID (PVID), packets sent out of a trunk port are VLAN-tagged.

I know if the router has subinterfaces, trunking is what is used, so I'm assuming the router can distinguish between the vlans. And so why does the ping in my case, or in a general case not go across the trunk port without sub-interfaces?

Thanks!!

R1 is bottome left R4 is weitch at right and R1 is trying to ping R6, which had a trunk link between switch 4 and R4, and failed. (R6 shown in 2nd image). After i changed link to access ping works.

2023-04-18 08_40_32-IOU1.png

2023-04-18 08_40_32-IOU1.png

And so since this was 

Here's R1

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I DONT get your Q'

Trunk between R and SW?

R dont know trunk concept it must config with subinterface for each vlan allow in trunk from SW side 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

I DONT get your Q'

Trunk between R and SW?

R dont know trunk concept it must config with subinterface for each vlan allow in trunk from SW side 

Ok that explains everything in brief. Thanks!   Any more thoughts/advice, maybe with what goes on with the headers?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card