cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPAN port issue 2960X

d.allison
Level 1
Level 1

I have multiple 2960x switches, all running Version 15.2(4)E3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

All have the same config.  I am having an issue with one of the switches.  I have SPAN ports set up as per below:

monitor session 1 source interface Gi1/0/25
monitor session 1 destination interface Gi1/0/44

On the switch I am having the issue with, the device plugged in to the destination port is not accessible.  I cannot ping or connect via VNC.  I CAN ping and connect via VNC for all of the other switches.

If I remove "monitor session 1 destination interface Gi1/0/44", I am then able to ping the device (and connect via VNC).  The config on the port is empty.

If configure the port to mirror other (non-SPAN) ports, I can access the device connected.

I have tried different ports for the SPAN destination, and have replaced all Ethernet cables.

I am at a loss, considering all other switches (5 others have same config).

5 Replies 5

Hi

Your config is fine, If you are using span sessions and sending traffic to a destination port, this switchport must be configured as default, in few word no configuration under the port. 

Usually the recording systems or sniffers have 2 ports, one without any configuration and the other one for management that include IP settings.

If you are using a laptop, you could use you LAN port with not IP settings and use the WLAN port to manage it.

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi Julio,

Thanks for the response.  The destination switchport doesn't have any config.  The other locations with the same setup are not having the issue... I am able to ping the device (a DVR) connected to the switchport with the monitor statement entered.

On the problem switch, if I start a constant ping to the device (without the SPAN destination configured) I get responses.  As soon as I enter the SPAN destination, I start dropping all pings.  When I remove the SPAN destination, the pings are successful once again.

I am just confused because this behavior is isolated to one switch.

If Im not wrong when the span destination port is set up the port should be seen like disabled or other state, I dont remember right,

Can you execute show interface status or show ip int brief 

and see how the port looks?

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

It shows as up and connected.  If I set the SPAN destination, it shows as monitoring.  Other switches show as monitoring on the destination port, but I am still able to ping the device.  Not so on this problem switch.

Yeap that is the correct state, the device connected to this destination port has 2 NICs? Could you please share the config of the destination port?

Thank you in advance. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card