Views
Helpful
Replies

Spanning Tree Protocol-state

snarayanaraju
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Experts,

I have a conceptual doubt in Spanning Tree Protocol logic.

I have 3 Switches R0, R1 & R2 connected in Triangular fashion. R0-R1-R2-R0 as shown in diagram attached. R0 is Root Bridge being the Lowest Bridge ID

I am seeing that R2 Port connected to R1 port is blocked as a normal behavior of STP. I assume STP chosen R1 ports as Designated Port because it has Lowest Bridge ID (Since both R1 & R2 has equal cost path to R0).

I am trying to change the Blocked port in R2 so that it will become FWD port and R1 port will become BLK port. So, I entered command “spanning -tree cost 5” in R1.

But I am not seeing this cost get reflected in any of the switches. I even tried to change the Spanning tree cost of R0's Fa0/0 and Fa0/1 Port to 100 for testing. It is also not getting advertised to R1 & R2.

I am confused with my understanding. Can anyone please help me, what does this command “spanning -tree cost “ does and how to make R2 switch's all the ports to become FWD state.

Thanks in advance for helping me

Sairam

15 Replies 15

Hello Jon,

Great explanation and thank you for covering up my rather bad post :)

Thank you very much for your kind words - and also for your rating. Your post was not bad at all. In fact, when I started writing my rather lengthy reply, I did not see your answer yet. You must have submitted it before I finished writing mine. I just felt that Sairam was trying to understand something in STP that in my own opinion is often misunderstood so I engaged in that lengthy explanation so I could be sure that we and Sairam are on the same "wavelength".

Oh and congrats on the gold star.

Thank you very much again! To receive such commendation from a vet like you is particularly valuable for me. Nevertheless, I can not compare to your rating level... :-) I am just trying to follow the best :)

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card