cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stackwise configurations help

eumaeus78
Level 1
Level 1

I currently am working on testing a design that will include several stacks of 3750 switches with EMI images.(12.2(25)SEB1 currently) I am testing right now with just 2 3750s connected with stackwise cables and one 3750 acting as a fill in for the 4500 core switch. I can get everything up and running fine with the stackwise, but everything kind of goes to bad when I break the stackwise. I have tried disconnecting the cable with the switches powered up and with the switches powered down. When everything is done and the 2 switches are back up with the stack broken both switches are keeping the entire stackmaster configuration from when they were stacked. All interfaces, vlans, routing (OSPF), etc are identical on both switches. By all interfaces I mean that switch 2 has ports 2/0/1 - 3/0/24 and switch 3 also has 2/0/1 - 3/0/24. This creates a duplicate router ID for OSPF which causes half the network to work for a few minutes and then the other half for a few minutes. Of course this means that while one half is working the other is not working properly. Thank you in advance for any help that you may be able to offer.

2 Replies 2

c-wilkins
Level 1
Level 1

If you do a "show switch" does it show a switch listed as "Provisioned"? If it does, all you need to do is a "no switch provision" where the switch number is the switch that was listed as provisioned. You might also want to renumber the switch so that when it is not in a stack it is switch 1. This can be done by doing "switch renumber 1". Hope this helps you out.

Thank you for the reply. I can issue the no switch <> provision command and that helps, but it also means that until somebody gets to the switch to issue the command that portion of the network remains down. Is there a way that the provisioning can be undone when the stack breaks. There may not be anyone around that knows how to issue the command for an extended period of time.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card