cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

static ip via dsl

Joli Martinez
Level 1
Level 1

We have ATTuverse.  It is plugged into an 871 router.  They provide us with 5 IP but I would like to pass those IP's to the 871 so I can route them within my network.  Since they use DHCP I can only obtain one which is the one I use for the WAN interface.

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Joli,

I do not think this can be done easily. The 5 public addresses are considered to be located on the segment between your 871 and the CPE device. If you moved them behind your 871, you would somehow need to tell the CPE device that these IP addresses are not directly reachable but rather they should be reached via the 871 - so basically, you would need to override the routing decisions on the CPE device. There are tricks with static /32 routing and ProxyARP on your 871 but that all complicates things instead of making them simpler. I do not recommend them at all.

The most clean way, if I can call it that way, would be to set up a static NAT on your 871 to translate the public IPs to private addresses used inside your network.

Best regards,

Peter

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can also (if you're using the 2-wire modem) can put your router in the DMZ. The 2-wire modem allows you to put your whole network in the DMZ since it doesn't support true bridging. If you do this, you should be able to use your other addresses as normal like Peter stated above.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Joli Martinez
Level 1
Level 1

thx, I guess ill have to use the static nat then

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: