Views
Helpful
Replies

Static NAT

F Martinez
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

What is the purpose of configuring static NAT on the CE router that is connected to the MPLS/PIP cloud.

I was under the impression that NAT is only configured on the CE routers connected to the public network like the Internet.

Thanks a lot!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

W Greggs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

It is unusual but it depends on the solution you are trying to achieve. In some situations you could use this on a primary/backup solution to allow an internal device(or devices) to use the backup service to load balance traffic at the site. By using a second IP range or the MPLS CE IP you can advertise that prefix across the MPLS (with the help of your MPLS provider) to other CEs and use NAT to return the traffic to the original site device(s).

I'm sure there are other use cases but the above is one that came to mind. 

View solution in original post

Hi,

sometimes you might need to use NAT when merging networks - after a company acquisition, e.g.

Best regards,

Milan

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

W Greggs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

It is unusual but it depends on the solution you are trying to achieve. In some situations you could use this on a primary/backup solution to allow an internal device(or devices) to use the backup service to load balance traffic at the site. By using a second IP range or the MPLS CE IP you can advertise that prefix across the MPLS (with the help of your MPLS provider) to other CEs and use NAT to return the traffic to the original site device(s).

I'm sure there are other use cases but the above is one that came to mind. 

Hi,

sometimes you might need to use NAT when merging networks - after a company acquisition, e.g.

Best regards,

Milan

Thanks a lot milan.kulik.

Network Address Translation

• It is the method of Translation of Private IP address into Public IP address
  • In order to communicate with internet we must have registered Public IP address

Static NAT

• One to One mapping done manually
  • For every private IP address one registered IP address

Thanks a lot W Greggs!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card