Helpful
Replies

Static routing ISSUE(packet tracer)

lucky_67012001
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need some help with static routing.

I can`t reach router3 from router1 via ping( 192.50.10.0 to 192.50.30.0)

I issued the commands in router1

S 192.50.20.0/24 [1/0] via 192.168.100.11  ( the ping reaches the network 192.50.20.0)

S 192.50.30.0/24 [1/0] via 192.168.100.11  ( the ping doesn`t reach this network)

I issued the command in router2

S 192.50.30.0/24 [1/0] via 192.168.200.11 (ping reaches the network 192.50.30.0)

As a conclusion...  Router1 reaches router2, but it doesn`t reach router3  (and i can`t understand why..since router 2 was configured to reach router3)

I probably forgot something..or I misconfigured something.... Any help would be appreciated.

Edit:

What i did is to tell R1 how to reach R2 and then i told R2 how to reach R3, but R1 can't reach R3 (for some reason), and this seems to be my issue..since R2( knows how to reach R3) but is unable to get R1 to R3.. (in order for the ping to be succesfull, it does not have to be bothways,otherwise i would not be able to get a ping from R2)

Also i did try to configure it bothways... so that R3 can ping R2 and R2 can ping R1, but R1 still can`t ping R3 and R3 can`t ping R1  :(  (i know, a lot of issues for something that`s supposed to work with only 3 commands) 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Attached you will find the fixed file. It can be compared with your file. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can't read the attachment but as a guess don't forget routing has to work both ways so when you ping from router1 what is the source IP and does router3 have a route for that ?

If you are not specifying the source IP with an extended ping then it will be the IP of the interface connecting to router2.

Jon

I don`t think it has to work bothways, since R1 can get a ping from R2, but R2 can`t get a ping from R1, because it doesn`t know how to reach it.

Routing has to work both ways, can't put it any clearer than that.

It may be to do with the IPs you are using in your pings but unless you provide more details difficult to say.

Jon

I tried to configure it bothways so that R3 can ping R2 and R2 can ping R1, but R1 still can`t ping R3 and R3 can`t ping R1.

In other words, r1 can get a ping from r2, r2,can get a ping from r3, r3 can get a ping from r2 and r2 can get a ping from r1, but not r1 from r3 and r3 from r1 

Are you pinging from the routers themselves and are you just typing "ping <IP address>" ?

If yes to both questions then R1 will use the IP assigned to the interface connecting to R2 which means R3 needs a route for that subnet and the same the other way round.

The reason each router can ping the next one along is because they share a subnet between them.

Jon

it had to be both ways, i tried with the cmd , now it works :)

Hi

Please let me verify the file, but remember the ping is reciprocal in few words if an ICMP packet is sent to a destination, the destination need to know how to return a response to the source.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi 

I found the issue. 

On Router 2 You need to add:

ip route 192.50.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.100.10

On Router 3 you need to add:

ip route 192.50.10.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.200.10
ip route 192.50.20.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.200.10

Hello,

I did, it still doesn`t work.

Attached you will find the fixed file. It can be compared with your file. 

Hope it is useful

Hello,

Yes, now i can ping all the the pcs :) r1 to r3 and r3 to r1, i guess i needed to make it both ways lol, sorry for the bother:).

As for response...

Router 1 can reach router 2, but router 2 does not know how to reach router 1.. however router 1 is still able to get a ping.

Hi

Ping between routers connected directly can works but It should not work between PCs, because PC (attached to Router 2) doesnt know how to reach Router 1, there is not a entry for the network 192.50.10.0/24 into the routing table of the router 2.

It could works unless you have a NAT using the network between R1 and R2, I have opened the original attached file and there is no ping between PC7 and the PC connected to router 2 unless I set up the configuration below. 

ok, i understand now why it has to be bothways :), i did not try to ping it from cmd.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card