cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Steps to configure failover and load balancing Internet traffic

parmar.pankaj
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2911Sec9 router with 2 Internet leased lines.

ISP1 (Airtel) 4Mbps connected to ethernet port

ISP2 (STPI) 2Mbps connected to serial port

I have following requirements.

1. Configure load balancing - Send all VoIP traffic using ISP2 (STPI) and rest traffic using ISP2 (Airtel)

2. Configure fail over - In case ISP1 is down, all traffic should be diverted to ISP2 and vise versa

Please help with commands needed to be run for above requirements

Also, let us know whehter both both ISPs bandwidth can be clubbed/aggrigated (4+2=6Mbps).

Thanks in advance!!!

Regards,

Pankaj Parmar

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Pankaj,

first of all:

>> Also, let us know whehter both both ISPs bandwidth can be  clubbed/aggrigated (4+2=6Mbps).

this cannot be done given the different technologies of the interfaces

>>

I have following requirements.

1. Configure load balancing - Send all VoIP  traffic using ISP2 (STPI) and rest traffic using ISP2 (Airtel)

2.  Configure fail over - In case ISP1 is down, all traffic should be  diverted to ISP2 and vise versa

this can be achieved by:

making ISP1 the preferred path for all traffic and using specific static routes or PBR to move VoIP traffic over ISP2 link

example:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 isp1

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 isp2 201

! this makes isp1 preferred for all traffic

! specific static routes for VOIP traffic

ip route 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 isp2

more specific route is used first

this approach is possible if VOIP subnets are dedicated and different from IP subnets used for data

otherwise you need PBR

policy based routing

this allows to divert specific traffic based on traffic type

Edit:

the same ideas apply if you are using BGP or other protocol with ISPs; making ISP1 link preferred using ISP2 link for specific destination or specific traffic.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

>> Also, let us know whehter both both ISPs bandwidth can be   clubbed/aggrigated (4+2=6Mbps).

this cannot be done given the different  technologies of the interfaces

Reply: Will bandwidth aggregation work if my both ISPs are running on ethernet port?

Hello Pankaj,

the answer is no again

bandwidth aggregation can be done only when both links are terminated on the same device, if you have two different ISPs they will have two different devices so you cannot use it

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco