Views
Helpful
Replies

Stop a secondary RSP from syncing

ThomasD86
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we're running in our network a bunch of ASR 907, all of them equipped with dual RSPs. On one of those, the secondary RSP failed so today a technician showed on site with a replacement RSP.

The problem was that the RSP that he brought had a different iOS-XE release (newer one) from the one present on the primary RSP, so what happened is that while the card was recognized fine at first, once it started syncing its configuration and changed its bootvar to match the primary's it rebooted itself only to get stuck in rommon since it was trying to boot an image that wasn't in its bootflash.

Is there some kind of command I can issue beforehand to prevent the primary RSP from passing its configuration onto the standby at least until I've copied the image to the standby bootflash? Or, the only way is to load the image on the RSP before inserting it in the router?

Thanks for the help and have a nice day

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- By default , the syncing is done automatically, you might have a look from documentation at the available config-register settings for your device which could influence  that behavior , or for instance boot into rommon, not sure if that then can lead to commands which can                                  further resolve the issue when the card is already inserted.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello,

I am not sure if you can disable SSO, or disable redundancy...

ASR907# config terminal
ASR907config)#no redundancy
ASR907(config)#no mode sso
ASR907(config-red)#no policy config-sync

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/asr-900-route-switch-processor-rsp/200168-Troubleshoot-Common-Hardware-Issues-on-A.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card