Views
Helpful
Replies

strange thing happens if we connect to a network with VPN

riderfaiz
Level 1
Level 1

HI everyone,

How are you? My first time here, and hope you can help on this issue....

We have a buffalo router, assigned with 192.168.1.x with mask 255.255.0.0,  and set it up for vpn purpose. It is connect to a network with 192.168.0.0 with mask 255.255.0.0. The lan port is assigned with 192.168.1.x and connect to a workgroup switch in turn connected to a  cisco switch 4509. And the WAN is connect ed to interenet. DHCP is running fine without any cross-scope. VPN also uses DHCP and also use part of the free scope from 192.168.0.0.

The vpn was running fine until some certain time and the "user" of the router claims that he did not make any change. Here are the issues.

If we vpn in with the cisco switch unplugged from the workgroup switch, everything seems to be normal. We can access and ping the hosts (192.168.0.x) with expected response. Trace  route will take only 2 steps to get to the internal destination. However, if we put the cisco switch back, we can still vpn...however, the access to the hosts is different story. The ping would be on and off (requested time out)...and we will not be able to access to the hosts...which provide video streaming. When we do the trace route...the funny part is that.... we could see the trace reach the destination already...but it still keep tracing and we could see the same destination points repeat and appear in the trace 2 3 times before it stops the trace.

Again, the problem happens only on VPN....without vpn, the network seems to run fine.... or would it be the cisco switch has some looping issue that we do not know of?

Hope you can help.... Thank you very much in advance.

Takusan

1 Reply 1

riderfaiz
Level 1
Level 1

I fixed my own problem. It is not related to switching or routing issue. Instead... it is related to some vpn settings on the 3rd party vension.

Thank you to you all.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card