Views
Helpful
Replies

Suitable router for 100 Mbps internet link

shashank.sau1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

I need to terminate a 100 Mbps internet link on Ethernet on a router . Which router model I should go ahead with ? 

Router 3925 must be suitable or new 4K series router ? My requirement is to perform continuous data upload and download from a Internet based server .

Thanks

4 Replies 4

The Cisco 4331 with the performance license could match your needs. Or with more room for further speeds, the 4351.

If you need to send the traffic through a VPN, then the HSEC-license is also needed.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Cisco recommends the 3925 as being suitable for 100 Mbps of WAN bandwidth, so yes, it should be okay, but it wouldn't have any room for growth.

I've attached the Cisco whitepaper that contains the above recommendation.

Chris Miller
Level 1
Level 1

We traditionally use 2901 routers and transport up to a gig over a private wan link.  As Karsten said, if you are using a VPN, you would need on top of the traditional SEC license, a H-SEC license.  If you are using a VPN, you may want a higher end router (39xx series) and maybe get a hardware acceleration card/VPN acceleration module.  Otherwise, I have no reason to believe why a 29xx series wouldn't be sufficient.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Otherwise, I have no reason to believe why a 29xx series wouldn't be sufficient.

Chris, you too might benefit from reading the Cisco whitepaper.

For example, the whitepaper notes under ideal conditions, the 2901 can push over 3 Gbps, yet Cisco only recommends the 2901 for 25 Mbps.

Cisco's recommendations are very conservative, basically insuring a router has sufficient performance to deliver the recommended bandwidth under almost any conditions.  If you know some of the more performance taxing conditions won't apply, you can often size down.

That said, I agree with Chris that a 29xx series ISR might work just fine for your 100 Mbps link, but it might not too.  Much depends on your actual traffic volume, content, and device configuration.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card