cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Support for multiple inbound IP addresses

npowroz
Level 1
Level 1

My venerable NetGear router/firewall has died and I'm looking for a replacement. My ISP connection includes a /29 subnet, so I have over a dozen inbound IP addresses available to me. I need a router that will support that kind of configuration, obviously with NAT routing to any one of a dozen servers on my network. (This is actually the main development and support network for a software development company).

I've been looking at the RV3xx series, but the on-line documentation doesn't seem to explicitly say that they support what I need. Can anyone confirm if they'll do what I need?

Thanks

Norm

8 Replies 8

Hello,

the RV3xx routers do not have a full CLI, what you need is the ability to configure a NAT pool such as this one:

ip nat pool ISP 212.12.32.1 212.12.32.6 netmask 255.255.255.248

For that you need a router that supports a full IOS. Have a look at the ISR900 series (datasheet linked below). 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/datasheet-c78-741615.html

On a side note, a /29 subnet gives you 6 hosts.

The /29 was a typo on my part that I missed. I actually have a /28 subnet, so I do have over a dozen potential addresses.

Norm

Hello

FYI - the amount of available addressing you have has no relation to what rtr your choose 

Your choice should be dependent on what services you require (vpn nat firewall qos etc) throughput and user usage and tbh meraki hardware for small to medium business are a good choice to review.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Well, in a sense it does. For example, your typical small router can only handle a single inbound IP address, typically assigned by DHCP, so none of those are of any use to me. Being able to say "route this inbound IP to this local server" is vital, but the publicly viewable documentation for a lot of routers doesn't specifically say that, hence my question. We also don't need datacenter-level equipment, so we're not interested in spending thousands on the router.

Cheers

Norm

Hello

Not sure where you get data centre models from i didn’t even suggest them - Most soho routers support nat nowadays and are not that expensive and i guess £500+ for a decent UTM device thats internet facing isn’t going to break a small business bank account 

As i said review the meraki hardware they are good kit and you get a lot for your money.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I appreciate your suggestion to look at the Meraki line, but after doing so I can't see anything that fits our needs for a reasonable cost. I haven't seen anything that doesn't include WiFi (which we don't need as we already have sufficient access points). It also looks like we will need to pay for licenses for Cisco software, and we have no interest in getting into that problem area. The cost of the Meraki line is also much higher than products from other vendors that we have been looking at. Those other products require no licensing, have no built-in WiFi, and seem to get regular firmware updates for free.

Thanks again for all your help. It has been very useful, but I think we will be looking at other vendors instead of Cisco.

Cheers

Norm

Hello
No worries, totally understand regards the licencing it can be a minefield to traverse - You could also checkout the router selector - here to see if this provides you with any insight to what could accommodate your needs.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello

Suggest you review Meraki mx  It can accommodate small to large usage of users it’s cloud managed so its always available - Gui based so no tricky cli-  supports multiple features NAT LTE -POE-WiFi -client.site-to-site VPN.stateful firewall content filtering etc….Here

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card