cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Umbrella | URL being blocked despite being whitelisted

anfare
Level 1
Level 1

I don't understand what is going on here. I have a domain on the enforced whitelist. When I test the policies, the domain is always allowed. But when I try to visit the site, I get "This site is blocked due to content filtering" block page. The diagnostic info isn't very helpful, just lists a Bundle ID and the host is block.opendns.com which doesn't seem helpful. 

Any idea what is going wrong?

5 Replies 5

Hello,

which domain is whitelisted ? Chances are that that particular domain fetches content from other sites (which you have not allowed). Try the Google prefetch tool (link below) to identify additional sites that your domain is accessing...

https://support.umbrella.com/hc/en-us/articles/230904008-Guide-to-best-practices-for-allowing-or-blocking-domains-in-Cisco-Umbrella

Thanks for the reply. I did see that article about watching the HAR for additional domains. The domain in question is intune.microsoft.com and it doesn't call any blocked subdomains, it is being fully blocked for some reason I don't understand despite both microsoft.com and intune.microsoft.com being whitelisted. 

anfare
Level 1
Level 1

I'm seeing this on multiple domains too-very confusing. Here azure is in the whitelist:

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 12.45.06 PM.png

According to the documentation, you don't need to explicitly add subdomains. The policy tester shows the domain as allowed:

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 12.33.49 PM.png

Yet when I try to go to a subdomain, I get blocked:

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 12.31.32 PM.png

And none of these blocks are showing in the Activity Search for some reason despite all policies being set to "Log All Requests":

Screenshot 2024-07-03 at 12.47.54 PM.png

which is making it even harder to diagnose....

Hello,

I don't want to give stupid advice and mention the obvious, but check if you have 'Allowed-Only Mode' enabled...

https://docs.umbrella.com/deployment-umbrella/docs/create-and-apply-policies#advanced-settings

Thanks, always welcome any help/advice, but unfortunately this time it isn't that easy (i.e. allowed-only mode is not enabled). 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card