Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch 6506 showing TFTP: error code

HCL Support
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

We having one Switch 6506 installed at one site & getting TFTP error code but no having any business impact on the working status of the Switch but we need to confirm the reason & the future impact if any or this will be disappeared.

Jul 29 16:40:46: TFTP: error code 2 received - 16739

Jul 30 11:57:25: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty1 (10.50.81.36) Jul 30 12:01:19: TFTP: error code 2 received - 16739

Jul 30 14:59:08: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty1 (10.50.81.36) Jul 30 15:02:13: TFTP: error code 2 received - 16739

Jul 30 15:10:49: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by vty1 (10.50.81.79) Jul 30 15:14:22: TFTP: error code 2 received - 16739

Jul 30 16:41:15: TFTP: error code 2 received - 16739

Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICES_WAN-M), Version 12.2(33)SXH8a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2011 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 16-Mar-11 00:14 by prod_rel_team

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(17r)SX7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

IT_MSR-6506 uptime is 16 weeks, 1 day, 20 hours, 8 minutes
Uptime for this control processor is 16 weeks, 1 day, 20 hours, 0 minutes
Time since IT_MSR-6506 switched to active is 16 weeks, 1 day, 20 hours, 0 minutes
System returned to ROM by  power cycle at 19:16:14 test Tue Nov 29 2011 (SP by power on)
System restarted at 19:45:22 test Wed Apr 22 2015
System image file is "sup-bootdisk:s72033-ipservices_wan-mz.122-33.SXH8a.bin"

Could you explain the reason of this TFTP error code coming there & any impact on the Switch as this is the core Hardware.

Regards,

Ashutosh

5 Replies 5

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ashutosh

Are you using any kind of LMS application (Cisco Works) to run backup of configuration or other information. The error code 2 means access violations. It may be occurring because the application might not be configured properly and you are not having enough privileges for the configured user.

Regarding the error codes, you can refer to the RFC:

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1350.txt

Error Codes

Value     Meaning

0         Not defined, see error message (if any).
   1         File not found.
   2         Access violation.
   3         Disk full or allocation exceeded.
   4         Illegal TFTP operation.
   5         Unknown transfer ID.
   6         File already exists.
   7         No such user.

The TFTP messages you saw were debug messages. I have checked on our database and I found similar issues and the error is caused for TFTP debug messages to be printed even when TFTP debugs are not enabled. This is resolved in IOS versions 12.2(33)SXI and higher. This issue is not service impacting and will only result in these errors being printed when TFTP hits an error condition and fails, as you were seeing. It is not fixed in SXH train yet. But it is fixed in SXI train.

But the primary reason for the above message is security / access settings on LMS software in your network.

Hope this helps

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit

Hi Vinit,

You have touched the correct point " LMS application (Cisco Works) to run backup of configuration or other information. The error code 2 means access violations. It may be occurring because the application might not be configured properly and you are not having enough privileges for the configured user."

Yes, The customer using the LMS Application there & could you suggest here what kind of changes need to be correcting at the LMS end so that this TFTP error code 2 may be removed.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Hi Ashutosh,

Issue is with tftp server itslef and so trying using TFPT32 server instead.

TFTP32 server comes with 64bit version as well.

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

thanks

Hello Ashutosh

sorry, but I am not an expert in LMS, so cant really help much from the configuration perspective. we have similar issues in past and have where it was found that LMS application was mis-configured. I think you can check with your customer to see if there are any mistakes on the configuration front. Possibly the user is not having sufficient privileges or the Customer LMS application might have any privileges on your router itself. So you can ask them to stop querying your router or fetch backup.

Hope this helps.

Vinit

Thanks
--Vinit

Hi Ashutosh,

Could you please let me know if you got a chance to work on the LMS config. 

Feel free to reach out to me in case you have any further queries.

HTH

Vinit

PS: Please do mark the question as answered if your query has been answered and please do rate the useful posts.

Thanks
--Vinit
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card