cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Selection 100/1000

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

We have 4 branch offices connected with 100mbps WAN links. The current bandwidth usage (maximum) is 80mbps.

We are planning to replace all our L2 switches 2950 which supports 10/100mbps ports which are EOL.

Now if I buy new switches with gbps ports, is it going to create any problems as my WAN is 100mbps? Any advice on this is highly appreciated.

Thank You,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Think of it like this:

Currently you have a 24-port 10/100 switch (or perhaps several) connecting to a 100Mb wan link.

This is already a theoretical overbooking of about 1:24. Having gigabit in the acess layer is not going to change much to this situation.

The wan is and remains the bottleneck but a 100Mb wan link can handle a lot of traffic.

As long as you are not using time critical applications, it will more or less sort itself out.

When you want to use voip and/or video you need to configure qos but this also holds true for the current setup.

So basically, I do not see any necessary changes to the wan in order to replace the access layer with newer and faster devices.

regards,

Leo

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

tstamatopoulos
Level 1
Level 1

i dont think so, you can even configure the port to be 100mbs

HTH

I can not (not practical) hard code each and every port on desktops as well as switch's to 100mbps.

If need should be this is an option but you do not need to hardcode the speed.

You can also set a port to auto 10 100. Check the link below for more details.

It is about the 3560 but this setting is valid for all modern access switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_37_se/configuration/guide/swint.html#wp1028308

regards,

Leo

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Think of it like this:

Currently you have a 24-port 10/100 switch (or perhaps several) connecting to a 100Mb wan link.

This is already a theoretical overbooking of about 1:24. Having gigabit in the acess layer is not going to change much to this situation.

The wan is and remains the bottleneck but a 100Mb wan link can handle a lot of traffic.

As long as you are not using time critical applications, it will more or less sort itself out.

When you want to use voip and/or video you need to configure qos but this also holds true for the current setup.

So basically, I do not see any necessary changes to the wan in order to replace the access layer with newer and faster devices.

regards,

Leo

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card