Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch will not connect to Internet; Router connects fine

bill
Level 1
Level 1

Summary:

I can get Internet wirelessly, also by directly connecting to router, but the switch does not allow Internet.

Details:

I have a Time/Warner Cable Modem going into a Linksys ea4500 router, connecting to a Cisco SR224G 24-port switch.

I have administered this network for almost two years with minimal worries.

There was some sort of electrical short in my client’s office building that knocked out power for a day. When power came back on, the Internet did not reconnect.

There are 10 computers, mix of XP and 7, all up to date and otherwise working well. All but one came back on with APIPA addresses. One XP machine was able to connect through the switch.

My laptop was not in the office during this electric event, but it also could not connect through the switch.

Computers that could not connect tested well… I pinged their own IPs, and I pinged the loopback, so I accepted that their NICs were fine.

Computers that have wireless were able to connect to the Internet through the router.

I bought a new 24 port switch, a D-link DES 1026G, and this did NOT solve my problem. In fact, the same exact scenario took shape…

All computers gave themselves APIPA addresses, including my laptop, and one XP machine could connect to the router through the switch.

I wiped the router’s DHCP table, and finally even reset the router, with the same result.

So here’s what’s really odd to me… I move this one XP machine around the office and it always works on the different cable connection to the switch, while no other computer does.

I almost considered that to mean the other computers had their NICs damaged, but that would not explain why my laptop does not see the router through the LAN either.

And again, wireless computers can connect to the Internet wirelessly.

Any assistance with this issue would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Bill

You have given us an interesting description of the issue. But have not given us much detail to work with. As a start it would be helpful if you would post the configuration of the router. Also it would be helpful if you would post the output of ipconfig /all from one or two of the hosts that do not work and from the one that does work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card