Views
Helpful
Replies

T1 bridge

jorgeca
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

How can I bridge two T1 routers? Or How can I configure the two T1 routers to act as a bridge?

Thanks,

Jorge

2 Replies 2

med_ddevlin
Level 1
Level 1

What exactly did you want to do? A bridge is more like a switch and works at layer 2 combining 2 differnet media types.

Jorge

It is possible to bridge 2 routers over a T1 but usually it is not recommended.

The most simple approach to doing this is to turn off IP routing on both routers, configure a bridge group, and assign the bridge group to both the LAN interface and the serial interface. This very effectively bridges both routers together over the T1. One of the main reasons this is usually not recommended is that now all broadcasts from one LAN are bridged over the T1 to the other LAN.

If you do not want to turn off IP routing then the alternative to consider is to configure IRB on each router. Integrated Routing and Bridging configured a virtual interface (BVI) which gets an IP address and participates in IP routing and a bridge group which is assigned to both the serial and the LAN interface.

I agree with Daniel that if we knew more about your environment and your requirements that we might be able to identify some other solution that might achieve what you are trying to do.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card