cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

T1 Pt2PT Connection keeps dropping

matt.kurtzhals
Level 1
Level 1

We have a pt2pt connection configured and seems to keep dropping. The service provider changed out a bunch of equipment and seems to have help. I am new to the company and took a look at the configs and the t1 interfaces are both set to "line" on each end. Shouldnt one end be "internal"? It seems to have issues every 3 weeks or so. I was just wondering what has to happen for the timinig to be off and all of a sudden it keeps dropping if they are both set to line. Will this configuration work if both set to line and if something happens it drops becuase clocking is off.

18 Replies 18

Matt, let me know what you find out about the clocking. I'm just curious to know if there are telco's out there who don't provide the clock. Thanks.

Joe

griffijo@elizabeth.k12.nj.us

Joe,

On Pt2Pt connections most of the time the telco does not provide the timing...

Matt,

I am going to respectfully disagree with you. I used to support over a 100 T1 pt2pt connections and clocking was always provided on those lines. In addition I have done some work supporting a couple of small businesses with one or two remote sites, connected via T1, and clocking was always provided there as well. Maybe I am niave but it has always been my understanding that the clock was provided by telco on a T carrier. In fact in your situation I would think you would be seeing significant numbers of slip secs if you had two ends set for getting the clock from the line and in fact there were no clock.

Joe

I probably got some bad info then. Thanks Joe for your input. That is what our local telco claimed so I guess I believed them. I have not seen any slip errors so the timing must be coming from somewhere?????

Thanks,

Matt

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card