Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet problem !

mrunal_47
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am currently a student at SJSU and have a problem while telnetting into one of the routers.The problem is router doesnt respond,

2511#r1

[Resuming connection 1 to r1 ... ]

I just see this on the console and doesnt go into r1.I have rebooted the router r1 but problem stays.Ping works between 2511 and r1,

Any help will be great,

Saurabh

4 Replies 4

Hello Saurabh,

on the 2511, do a ´show line´, this will list all lines, the active ones are marked with an asterix *.

Identify the active lines and clear them with the command ´clear line x´, where ´x´ is the number that corresponds with that line. Does that make a difference ?

Regards,

GP

Hi,

I did that on the 2511.However when I do show sessions on 2511 ,it doesnt show any active sessions . I had cleared all the lines manually.

Thanks

mark-obrien
Level 4
Level 4

Are the virtual terminal lines configured on r1? Look for the following in r1's config:

line vty 0 4

password xxx

Without this the router can not accept telnet connections.

Mark

I get the impression from the original post that the 2511 may be configured to do reverse telnet. If it is doing reverse telnet then the configuration of the vty on r1 is not important and the configuration of r1 console is important.

So can the original post clarify whether it is doing reverse telnet or not. If it is doing reverse telent then I would like to see how it is configured on the 2511 and the exact and complete configuration of the console on r1.

If ping succeeds to r1 I would like to know what happens if you explicitly telnet to the ip address of r1 that you are using in ping. I suspect that this telnet may work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco