cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

tftp/rcp boot 2610's over Frame-Relay as flash failover?

ggatten
Level 1
Level 1

We're upgrading IOS on about (200) 2610's from 12.2.16 to 12.2.28. These all reside on the other side of a FR cloud from our HQ, which is where the tftp/rcp server resides.

These routers only have 8MB of flash, and upgrading that is not an option. What I'd like to do is have the router try booting from flash first, and if that fails, then boot via tftp. My config looks something like:

boot system flash

boot system tftp imagename source

I've read docs about "fault-tolerant boot strategy" which discusses this exact scenerio. Cisco is still looking at this, but so far has told me that and IOS must be loaded from flash before it can boot via tftp. What kinda sense does that make? Certainly not fault-tolerant.

I've read other docs about changing confreg and some other settings, but they contradict each other so I haven't tried that yet. Also read some docs that imply that this may not be possible on 2600 series routers, but it wasn't clear.

Sorry I don't have any error messages - I don't have remote OOB access to these sites and our lab is down for another week or so.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Gary

1 Reply 1

ggatten
Level 1
Level 1

Hello? Anyone there? Yes - I'm impatient, sorry...

Good news is I have my test lab up, so I can view the console output during the boot process.

G

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card