cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP via IPSEC Tunnel Router

rasoftware
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router-PIX tunnel setup and the only access I have to the router is via the tunnel. I am trying to TFTP the config back to my network from the router which is not working. I can only ping back from the remote router if I do extended ping and use its inside interface as the source interface. I can TFTP back configs from the PIX-PIX tunnels by virtue of selecting the inside interface. I assume the traffic generated by the router is not getting pushed down the tunnel. Is this possible on a cisco router?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rob

It is certainly possible on a Cisco router. I have deployed many Cisco routers to do IPSec tunnels and have TFTP configs and image files over the tunnels many times.

Are you using the command ip tftp source-interface command to specify the address to use as the source for the TFTP? The symptoms you describe suggest that the router may be sourcing the TFTP from its outbound interface and not sending the traffic over the tunnel. If you use the command to specify that TFTP should be sourced from the inside interface then it is more likely to go through the tunnel.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rob

It is certainly possible on a Cisco router. I have deployed many Cisco routers to do IPSec tunnels and have TFTP configs and image files over the tunnels many times.

Are you using the command ip tftp source-interface command to specify the address to use as the source for the TFTP? The symptoms you describe suggest that the router may be sourcing the TFTP from its outbound interface and not sending the traffic over the tunnel. If you use the command to specify that TFTP should be sourced from the inside interface then it is more likely to go through the tunnel.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks Rick that worked a treat!

ip tftp source-interface vlan 1

copy run tftp...

Rob

Thanks for posting back to the forum and indicating that your problem was solved. It makes the forum more useful when people do post back confirming the solution so that we can read about a problem and then see what solution solved the problem.

I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card