Views
Helpful
Replies

Throughput of the NM-16ESW card and performance

kernmartis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you'll tell me what is the throughput of NM-16ESW and performance (mpps). I have 3845 router.

All I've found on the datasheet:

"Delivers up to 200 Mbps of bandwidth (full duplex) Layer 2; forwards and filters at full wire speed on each port".

Does it mean "200 Mbps full-duplex aggregate bandwidth availabe for all 16 i/f"? --> so the top limit of this network module.

What is the throughput of a 3845 NM slot?

NM-16ESW will be EOS by Nov 15, 2011. I could only find replacement for hardware except for newer IGR2 router (SM modules).

Regards

Kern

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The     Author of this posting offers the information contained within this     posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding  that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any   purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In     no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of  such  damage.

Posting

I think that module supports line-rate for L2 between ports on the same module.

Throughput of the NM slot, itself:

Q. What is the bandwidth for the internal connection between the EtherSwitch service module and the hosting router?

A. Because the module is an NME, the internal connection speed is 1 Gbps.  This is seen and configured on both the module and the router as a  Gigabit Ethernet interface. The actual performance depends on the  specific configuration and the performance of the hosting router.
Q. What is the bandwidth for the backplane connection between the  EtherSwitch service module and the hosting router when installed in an  Generation 2 ISR using an SM - NM adapter card?

A. Since an NME EtherSwitch Service Module installed in an Integrated  Servcies Router Generation 2 needs an adapter card, it will keep the  same internal connection characteristics as in the Cisco 2800/3800  series. This means connecting to the host router via an ePCI bus that  will provide appr. 1Gbps of throughput to the CPU.

PS:

Also keep in mind the 3845 is rated at 500 Kpps, so it can't guarantee gig perforamance across its gig ports or the NM.

Hi,

What is the replacement product for it since it is going to be EOS, which will work on 3845?

The EOL document show only SM modules as replacement which will not work on 3845

Rergards,

Kern

Disclaimer

The      Author of this posting offers the information contained within this      posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding   that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any    purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only  and   should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any  kind.   Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own  risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In      no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever    (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or    profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's    information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of   such  damage.

Posting

From: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/eol_c51-632346.html

Product Migration Options

Customers  using Cisco 2900,3900,and 3900 E-Series Routers are encouraged to  migrate to the Cisco Enhanced EtherSwitch modules. Information about  this product can be found at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/data_sheet_c78-553980_ps10537_Products_Data_Sheet.htmlCustomers using Cisco 2800 and 3800 Series Routers are encouraged to  migrate to the Cisco EtherSwitch modules. Information about this product  can be found at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps259/product_data_sheet09186a00801aca3e.html. There are no migration options for those customers using Cisco 2600,3600,or 3700 Series Routers.

Or, order before 11/15/11.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card