Views
Helpful
Replies

Tracking optimum performance Branch Office WAN Links

oukpaka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi People,

I wish to know if their are solutions that could enable WAN Edge routers make routing decisions based on other factors like latency, delay, jitter e.t.c apart from prefix availability (availability of network).

Optimized Edge Routing (OER) / Performance Routing were suggested by some of my colleagues but after looking at those solutions they kinda do not meet my requirements. which include:

1) My client has close to 700 tunnels interfaces to the branch offices and OER/PfR can support a max. of 20 interfaces per Master Controller.

2)My clients have EIGRP as the IGP between the HQ and Branch Offices, on GRE tunnel interface over their ISPs but OER/PfR deployment are limited to BGP or statics at the WAN Edge.

Is there any other solution that factors IGPs like OER/Pfr

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Since your using EIGRP, you could enable activation of other EIGRP metric, such as load, but this is normally not recommended. (Also not sure if this has been upgraded to support using actual on-going interface load or, if it has, dealing with load churn.)

You could, with lots of effort, define your own IP SLA tests, monitor them, and adjust EIGRP delay attribute on an interface.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card