Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic Load balancing with two ISP

HI,

I have two ISP link terminated on single router.

But in present scenario we are using only ONE Link.

so it is look like --> ISP1--> Router--> Firewall--> Network Switch.

here we use dynamic natting on firewall.

All IPs used here are public IPs.

Now the requirement is We want it to load balance internal traffic to two links, so how we can achieve this.

We have multiple IP ranges in internal network and used VLAN and all these IPs natted (PAT) on firewall and then traffic goes to router internal interface (configured public IP) from Firewall interface(configured public IP).

Now if we have Second ISP now only configured router WAN interface.

What are the steps to achieve the load balancing.

Thanks in Advance

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
How do you route to the Internet on your router? If using a static default route, it could be as simple as adding a second default route statement. (This assumes your public IPs are "yours" and not the 1st ISP's.)

If your router supports Cisco's PfR, your router could dynamically load balance your egress traffic to to your two ISPs.

Hi, Thanks for replying.
We are using default route. Also we have /28 block of Public IPs.
Also please note we are using firewall HP A F-1000 and router HP A MSR 50-40.
But we want to do it using dynamic routing , how we can achieve this.

Just to confirm, your public IPs are yours, not from your ISP, correct? (I didn't think IANA allocated less than /24s.)

If you're using a default route, then as mentioned on my first post, it may be as simple as adding a second default route, although I cannot confirm the workings of your HP router.

For dynamic routing you would normally take Internet routes (all routes or partial routes) from both your ISPs usually using BGP. Of course, taking two full copies of all Internet routes demands a router capable of handling that. Again, I cannot comment on your HP router.

Further, I think it debatable how much benefit you'll obtain taking full Internet routes from both ISPs. Partial Internet routes might be more effective, but for either, BGP is going to just provide number of AS hops, with closest being better, but without accounting for actual path bandwidths.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card