cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking 9500 to 3850 Stack

skraps78
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to trunk a 9500 to an existing 3850 stack.   I believe this is possible,   and I have tried the basic trunking configs.    Are there any quirks that could help?    I can not put up the config here due to the sensitivity of the traffic, but if anyone can help with basic setup configs and any additional things I can't think of, I'd greatly appreciate it. 

Thank You

Robb

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Its just standard config done many, depends on requirement here below example :

interface TwentyFiveGigE1/0/11
switchport trunk allowed vlan xx,xx,xx ( these are the VLAN allow in the port-channel)
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode active  (this number can be anything)!

!

interface TwentyFiveGigE1/0/12
switchport trunk allowed vlan xx,xx,xx ( these are the VLAN allow in the port-channel)
switchport mode trunk
channel-group 1 mode active  (this number can be anything)
end

interface Port-channel1
switchport trunk allowed vlan xx,xx,xx
switchport mode trunk
end

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Ok,   those are configs on the 9500?   

I am trying to go from port 1/0/47 on the 9500 to ge5/1/3 on the 3850 

desired end result would be to remote into the 3850 stack and be able to manage the 9500. 

yes that give you idea, same config done at Cat 3850 side.

Are you looking to connect only 1 connection (trunk) then you do not need port-channel config.

if the Cat 9500 in Stackwise Virtual

Cat 3850 Stacked

This will give you resilence setup :

`

Cat 9500 Switch 1 connect to Cat 3850 master switch1

Cat 9500 Switch 2 connect to Cat 3850 master switch2

Only trunk :

Cat 9500

interface GigE1/0/47
switchport mode trunk

Cat 3850

interface ge5/1/3
switchport mode trunk

BB

Thank you.    I'll give this a shot.    Very Helpful. 

Let us know any issue happy to help, if all works close as resolved. (this is straight forward config)

BB

Hello,

I think the 9500 switches come with 10/25/40/100 GigabitEthernet ports only (no 1 Gigabit). If you connect any of these ports to the 3850, make sure the speeds match (set the 'speed' interface command on the 9500 port that whatever speed the interface on the 3850 has)...

Hello

@skraps78 wrote:

I am trying to trunk a 9500 to an existing 3850 stack.   I believe this is possible,   and I have tried the basic trunking configs.    Are there any quirks that could help?

I am trying to go from port 1/0/47 on the 9500 to ge5/1/3 on the 3850 

desired end result would be to remote into the 3850 stack and be able to manage the 9500

What is the issue you are experiencing?  - 
Please confirm that the physical connection between the switch switches is active.

Do you really require a trunk or just ip connectivity between these two switches?

Sh int x/x switchport
Sh  int x/x status

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

the connectivity is there.  the ports are green.   I'll have to ask if it NEEDS to be a trunk or just connectivity,   But as stated before, desired end result is....  the 9500 needs to be able to be managed remotely THROUGH the 3850 stack.    and they are in separate locations. 

Hello,

remotely managed means you need to be able to reach the management IP address of the 9500 ?

If you are running anything else than the management Vlan on the 9500 (which is highly likely) you need to configure a trunk.

that connection only enabled layer2 connection between Cat 9500 to Cat3850, allow Manangement vlan to extend to Cat 3850

what ever Manangment vlan need to configure on Cat 3850 example :

config t

!

VLAN 100 (your management VLAN)

!

interface vlan 100

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y ( your Manangment IP range)

no shutdown

!

default-gatway x.x.x.X ( towards Cat 9500 Management IP)

BB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card