cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tunnels bouncing after power recycle

mnewnam06
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have noticed that it is common for my GRE tunnels to bounce a few times after a power cycle with two log messages that are repeated several times:

%DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 1: Neighbor X.X.X.X (Tunnel1) is down: holding time expired

%DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 1: Neighbor X.X.X.X (Tunnel1) is up: new adjacency

Eventually the bouncing stops, but what is causing these tunnels to bounce a several times. Why not just once.

Thanks

4 Replies 4

rajivrajan1
Level 3
Level 3

any unsaved configuration (particularly any route) missing after power cycle?

Thanks for the response, but no, it doesn't appear so.

after power cycle, tunnel interface comes from DOWN to UP state.

Once interface is UP at both ends, EIGRP sends Hello packets for estabalishing adjacency with its neighbor router, Once neighbor is formed, only then routing tables are exchanged.

until neighbor adjacency is formed, you will keep getting this message in log.

%DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 1: Neighbor X.X.X.X (Tunnel1) is down: holding time expired

Once neighbor adjacency is formed, you will get this message in log.

%DUAL-5-NBRCHANGE: IP-EIGRP(0) 1: Neighbor X.X.X.X (Tunnel1) is up: new adjacency

after this you won't get these messages again until tunnel interface goes down again.

hope to help ... rate if it does ...

Thanks for the reply sourabhagarwal, that is the way I expected it to work as well, but I see a series of these two logs before the tunnel(s) stablize. I would expect only one set of these logs like you said, not several as I'm seeing, that is what is confusing. There isn't an interface DOWN log in between the series of EIGRP Neighbor logs. It seems that the HELLO messages aren't reaching the neighbors in time to avoid a timeout situation perhaps(?)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card