cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

two directly connected networks. Trying to configure failover link

KyleWhitaker
Level 1
Level 1

I am an IT manager for an energy company. We have one main office and one sattelite office. These offices are directly connected with a point to point microwave link. Both office's have a Sonicwall appliance facing the internet. We serve the sattelite office with phone service via the 1 GBPS microwave point to point link. We also provide some server connectivity to that sattelite office. Currently all of our routing is handled by the core switches at each site. There is a default route in each office core switch that pushes the traffic to the sonicwall. We do however have two static routes in our core switches that allow the two offices to talk to each other via that microwave link. Well we are starting to experience issues with our Microwave link and its going to need to come down for repairs. During the time the link is down for repair we will need that connectivity to come up some other way. I think there should be a way to connect our sonicwall's over the internet and configure a point-to-point vpn tunnel between the two offices over the internet. The only issue I'm running into is routing. It seems like I would have to take out my default routes and/or create another route that points to a different location. My firewall contractor wants to move my layer-3 route points from my Core Switch to my Sonicwall and I just am not sure that is our best course of action. My sonicwall contractor tells me my routing issue is because I have VLANS at both offices that are in the same subnet with the same VLAN. I think we should be able to create a couple new vlans, and a couple new routes, with higher metrics than the inter-office static route, that would allow it to take the route over the sonicwall instead of the microwave link, when the microwave link is down. I could provide a diagram if that would help anyone. 

5 Replies 5

if you share topology that better 

KyleWhitaker
Level 1
Level 1

One second and I will upload it

KyleWhitaker
Level 1
Level 1

thanks anyways

KyleWhitaker
Level 1