Views
Helpful
Replies

Two ISP one router configuration - needs help

jerrydelapena
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day to everyone,

I would like to ask help from this forum who have enough knowedge to share with me how to configure Cisco router with this scenario.. or any recommendation to make this goal a successful .

ISP 1  :  8mbps  dedicated line

ISP 2 :  4 mbps  dedicated line

Goal :

• To used these two ISP  and give priority traffic to ISP 1 since it has a bigger bandwidth
  • If one ISP is disconnected/down  their should be a failover

Thank You ..

Jerry

3 Replies 3

Pavel Bykov
Level 5
Level 5

Option 1. Use BGP with ISP, prepend ASPATH to 4 meg link, so it is of lower priority, and use local preference, to prefer the link for outside traffic.

Option 2. Use two static routes, but have the one pointing out of 8meg link use lower administrative distance. For example, you can have two default routes, one with AD of 5 and the other one with AD of 10. Don't forget to mention interface in the static route, so it will not be used, when the interface goes down. You can combine this with tracking IP SLA, so you don't rely on interface state.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Pavlo Bykov

Thank you very much  for you reply, I will gathered some data how to applied your suggestion ..

Regards,

Jerry

Pavlo Bykov

Using the Option 2 ,  To create a Static route for ISP 1 with lower AD and  ISP 2 with a higher AD , if we are going to combile it with IP SLA configuration , do you think , i can still use the two ISP in the same time ? or it just a failover solution ...

What i wanted is ,  if possible to used both ISP 1 and ISP 2   with a high priority to  ISP 1 since it has a high bandwidth and  if one of the ISP's failed it should still have internet connection ....

Thank you ..

jerry

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco