cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to ping from using source IP

Adnan Khan
Level 4
Level 4

From my router i am unable to ping for example destination IP of Cisco Prime 172.17.10.10 over DMVPM. G0/0.1 is the management IP and similarly switches behind that using same IP also not able to ping. What could be the issue?

Router Interfaces and IPs example as below

Interface                IP-Address

Ge 0/0.1                172.16.12.10

Tunnel12                192,168.12.10

6 Replies 6

TONY SMITH
Spotlight
Spotlight

First rule of troubleshooting "I can't ping xxxx".  Does "xxxx" in your case 172.17.10.10 have a route back to the specific address you are testing from?  Second rule, does xxxx actually reply to ping in any case.

The point here is it's tempting to think "I can't ping xxxx", but the issue may be that the answer is not getting back to you.

I suggest doing a traceroute in each direction, see where it gets lost.

friend the DMVPN is 
underlayer <<- 172.16.12.10 which I think the tunnel source 
Overlayer <<- 192,168.12.10 which is tunnel interface

now your destination is reach via which layer ?

Its reaching via tunnel interface IP

then use tunnel interface as source in ping 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One of the more common causes of what you describe is missing routing information on one or both ends.

Hello
You dont mention what type of DMVPN your are running?
Can you post the configuration and route table of the DMVPN hub which is the mapping agent called a Next Hop Server (NHS) and a client Next Hop Client (NHC) 

Hub/Client
sh run int tunnel xx
sh ip route
sh ip protocols
traceroute xxxx source xxxx

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card