Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading IOS for Cisco 1001-x

krisvamcee
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am trying to upgrade the IOS for Cisco 1001-x from 03.x to Everest 16.6.4 and I believe I need to upgrade the ROMMON version as well, but however I don't see ROMMON software available for 16.6 as it has to be the same IOS if I am upgrading to Everest 16.6.4, so in that case I can update to only Denali 16.3.6 as I can see ROMMON version 16.3 for Denali?

Or can I upgrade to Everest 16.6.4 with ROMMON software 16.3?

Could somebody please advise?

Regards

Vamsi

19 Replies 19

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Find the latest ROMmon, version 16.3(2r), and upgrade to that.

Thanks Leo, yeah I did see the latest ROMMON is 16.3, but I would like to upgrade to Everest IOS which is 16.6.4.

Are you saying that ROMmon, version 16.3(2r) is supported for Everest 16.6.4?

Regards

Vamsi

Yes

Thanks Leo, is there any link or on Cisco website where it says it supports ROMMON 16.3 for Everest 16.6.4 as I couldn't find one.

Regards

Vamsi

There is no "rule" that the ROMmon and the IOS should "match".
My recommendation is to upgrade the ROMmon when one is upgrading the IOS.

It's as Leo notes, ROMMON versions and IOS versions don't need to match, and rarely do.

Possibly OP is thinking of some older Cisco devices that used to support a mini-boot IOS image, that often could be found with the same version number as the main IOS.

As to OP's question about what IOS versions a ROMMON version supports, if there are such limitations, they should be noted in the release notes for the ROMMON. Generally the latest ROMMON version will support all IOS versions at the time of its release, and for some time after. If some IOS version needs a certain version of ROMMON, that should be noted in its IOS release notes.

Thanks Joseph.

One last question, what if the below version fails if I upgrade to 16.3 from 15.4. Does the ROMMON version fail back to 15.4 automatically? I know it will work but just want to make sure.

Router##upgrade rom-monitor filename bootflash:asr1000-rommon.163-2r.pkg all

If the upgrade fails, I believe ROMMON will boot either from the other region (there's usually two) or will use the built-in ROMMON. Like Leo, I don't recall having a ROMMON upgrade fail.

Thanks a lot Leo.

One last question, what if the below version fails if I upgrade to 16.3 from 15.4. Does the ROMMON version fail back to 15.4 automatically? I know it will work but just want to make sure.

Router##upgrade rom-monitor filename bootflash:asr1000-rommon.163-2r.pkg all

Regards

Kris

If the ROMmon fails to upgrade then it will fail to upgrade and the old version will remain.

I have upgraded many, many ROMmons and I've never had one that has failed. 

Thanks Leo.

And if I upgraded successfully ROMMON to 16.3 and if the new IOS (Everest 16.6.4) fails to upgrade and it will revert to 3.12. I hope the ROMMON will be on 16.3 and the IOS will be on 3.12, and it won't be a problem.

Regards

Vamsi

ROMmon and IOS are two separate files. One can't/won't influence or affect the other.

Thanks Leo

Hi Leo, Joseph

Apparently the IOS upgrade didn't work, even the ROMMON is back to 15.4 and IOS is back to 3.12. Any thoughts what could be the reason. I have attached some logs.

Regards

Kris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card