cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use of shutdown when changing encapsulation

jresnickehrlich
Level 1
Level 1

We are going to change from frame-relay on WAN serials to hdlc or multilink ppp (depending on office location). We are also changing most other config parameters of the serials, such as ip addresses. Should we first use shutdown command before making changes? Or can (should) we do changes without shutdown? (Is it recommended practice / best practice to use shutdown prior to making changes -- I know about using shutdown prior to cabling changes, but not sure about IOS config (non-hardware) changes.

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You don't generally need to shutdown your interface when making such changes. However, I do remember some caveat about shutting down the interface when enabling/disabling frame-relay encapsulation. In your case, you are not doing that so you should not need to.

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

jackyoung
Level 6
Level 6

In my experience, I will change the encap. (or say pre-config. all parameters) before I enable the interface. In the otherwords, I recommend to shut down the interface first then change encap., however, you have to ensure that you can access remote side if you change the encap. or shut the remote interface. e.g. via modem to console port or staff on-site to change the config. at the same time.

However, you can still change the encap. w/o shutdown the interface, but I recommend to shut down first, change encap. and no shut.

If you change from FR to PPP or HDLC, do you mean you change from FR to LL / IPLC ? or change PTT ? Then you may need to change the cable connection to another modem, so you also need to shut down the interface.

Hope this helps.

I agree with Jack that it would help us give better advice if we knew more about your environment and exactly what is changing (FR to something non-FR is a pretty major change).

In general I agree with Paresh and Jack that while you could probably get away with making your changes without using shutdown/no shutdown, that best practice is probably to showdown before making changes and no shutdown after the changes are complete.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks everyone. I will do shutdown/no shutdown.

The physical hardware and cabling is not changing. Per ISP don't need to.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card