cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using 2 isp on the same network

HassanBach
Level 1
Level 1

Hello , i have a network where the end users (clients) are using pppoe connection , now i want to use a second isp for my users so i want to split those users between the 2 isp companies 

i use a catalyst 2960 switch with 2 ports gig0/1 and gig0/2 for the isp’s 

and 5 fastethernet protected ports for sectors (mikrotik mantbox , mimosa c5c) and cables going to roads in the city.

how to do this in the named switch without making any conflict between the 2 companies (isp’s) 

example: let’s say 2 clients are connected to the same mantbox but each of them is a pppoe user for different isp (note: each isp has a name service provided with their pppoe user ) 

Bach
7 Replies 7

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check if these documents are helpful :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/network-address-translation-nat/100658-ios-nat-load-balancing-2isp.html

https://blog.router-switch.com/2012/09/cisco-catalyst-2960-series-enables-routing/

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello,

I guess you could use policy based routing on the 2960, to send traffic out specific interfaces, based on the source IP address. That of course only works if your PPPoE clients get IP addresses from different pools/subnets.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if they are different subnets - then you can route them respected ISP and NAT in Mickrotk  box , you also looking ISP failover ?

write a small diagram for you to understand and easy for you to diagnose later for your network faults 

Hope you are in india as cable operator looking this kind of solution is this correct (if not ignore it)  - this what we did many places in india.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

Can you post a topology diagram of your network setup?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello
The assumption is then that the 2960 is performing L3 routing between the two isp's via svis interfaces or routed ports and you have a default routes with preference towards one particular ISP next-hop - If so then policy based routing would be applicable.

The below example will policy route on specific host to host, host to network for vlan 10,20 and for all users in vlan 30 and monitor/track the isp2 connection and if that isp2 connection fails normal routing via the preferred default next-hop will be performed.

Example:
ip access-list extended PBR_ACL
permit ip host 10.1.1.1 host 4.4.4.4
pemit ip host 10.1.1.1 8.8.8.0 0.0.0.255
permit ip host 20.1.1.1 host 4.4.4.4
pemit ip host 20.1.1.1 8.8.8.0 0.0.0.255

track 1 interface <isp2 interface> ip routing

route-map PBR
match ip address PBR_ACL
set ip next-hop verify-availability <isp2> track 1

int vlan 10
description vlan 10
ip address 10.1.1.1 254 255.255.255.0
ip policy route-map PBR
ip route-cache policy

int vlan 20
description vlan 20
ip address 20.1.1.1 254 255.255.255.0
ip policy route-map PBR
ip route-cache policy

int vlan 30
description vlan 30
ip address 30.1.1.1 254 255.255.255.0
ip policy route-map PBR
ip route-cache policy

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

HassanBach
Level 1
Level 1

it's something look like this

Bach

Hello,

post the full running configuration of your 2960 switch. PBR is probably your best option.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card