Views
Helpful
Replies

Using PBR with EIGRP

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

Good day everyone,

ive seen a lot of examples of the above subject but i would like to have some clarification on an existing lab configuration issue we are having. first off, im by no means an expert hence reaching out here

we have a customer that has its HQ and 10 remote branches. they are all connected via two metro ethernet links with the same bandwidth. the request is to pass video on one link an "the rest" on the other. "The Rest" should also failover to the backup link if the primary fails.

we decided to use PBR with the following general configurations

HQ - WAN1 (Primary) and WAN 2 (backup - for video)

access-list 10 permit "the rest"

access-list 20 permit "video"

route-map TEST 10

match ip 10

set interface WAN 1 WAN 2

route-map TEST 20

match ip 20

set interface WAN 2

Interface LAN

ip policy route-map TEST

my assumption is that for "The rest" it would use the PRIMARY link and if not available use the secondary (this is working)

Video would use the BACKUP link (not working) - it still uses the primary unless i fail the primary.

what im seeing is that EIGRP is advertising the PRIMARY link only and therefore as  VIDEO is using the interface WAN2 it sees it as not available and drops off to the normal routing. If this is the case, is there any work around for HQ?

for the branches, since there are defined hops to reach to HQ then i dont think we shoud have any issues. i have tried using the next hop as well as ip sla for the branches and all seem to work. the key difference here is i can send to a specific hop(s) from branch to HQ but i cant do that from HQ to all branches.

thanks in advance and apologies if this has been addressed previously most have been utilzing ISP links which are a bit different from the above.

17 Replies 17

also,

wht we ended up doing yesterday at the branch office was adjust our route-map to set the next hop IP for the video part. we left the data usign the set interface "(primary then secondary)

seems as if it worked as we saw packets being incremented on the backup interface.

Vinayaka Raman
Level 1
Level 1

can you post show ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 longer prefix output on HQ router...?

Regards Vinayak

on the BO router:

assuming fa 0/1 is leading to primary
assuming we have a route entry for 10.53.14.0 255.255.255.255.0 on the HQ router. I do not see any summarization

router eigrp 1
offset-list 10 out fa 0/1

access-list 10 permit 10.53.14.0 255.255.255.0

clear ip eigrp soft

assign a metric value that would make this route worse for the headend

Regards Vinayak
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card