Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Config on a Cisco SG200-50P

I am trying to setup a VLAN on my Cisco switch. I have absolutely no exposure to setting up VLANS before and feel completely out of my depth here, please help me !!! :)

I want ports 1 through 43 to appear as one network so all devices connected to any of these ports can see each other (In other words, working as a normal switch)

But on ports 44 though 48 is where I want to create the VLAN, and those five ports to work almost as an independent switch, so they see none of the devices in patched into ports 1-43, but they do see any devices patched into ports 44-48.

And also vice versa, that none of the devices patched into 1 - 43 see none of the devices patched into ports 44-48.

Do I need to setup 2 VLAN's, or just 1? Do I have the ports configured as Access or Trunk, do I need to exclude or forbid any ports on any VLAN's.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Painting

2 Replies 2

mkazam001
Level 3
Level 3

to segregate traffic at layer 2 you need vlans

so 2 vlans in your case - if ports are connected to end users then configure as access ports

to connect to another switch - normally use a trunk

regards, mk

please rate if helpful or solved :)

fbabashahi
Spotlight
Spotlight
the default vlan in switch is vlan 1 , and it means in packets on trunk ports there is no vlan exist because it is default traffic , it is better for you to create 2 vlans to seperate traffics , and for ports that does not exist in these vlans for security has been suggested that these port mode change to access and for better, assign to a vlan that there is not any traffic eg: vlan 2,3 for your traffic and vlan 4 for unused ports

Good luck
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card