cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan Tagging over T1 Virtual Ports?

Shawn Kingston
Level 1
Level 1

From my understanding, using subinterfaces here would normally be the best way to pass VLAN tagged traffic across the T1 over trunked ports, however subinterfaces are built off physical ports. The ISR4221 routers have T1 modules in them, forcing us to use virtual serial interfaces. Currently the AP (VLAN1) can ping all the way through and vice versa. How can I get the hosts on VLANS working across the network. The subnet is assigned at the FW. Thank you in advance for any advice!

Onsite T1.png

5 Replies 5

use VPWS and then run VLAN tag frame over it. 

Thank you, I'll research and give it a shot!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unclear why you need to pass you VLANs across the T1.  In other words why does SW1 need to "see" SW2 VLANs or the converse?

Normally, once VLANs hit a router, packets would be handled strictly at L3.

Maybe I'm overcomplicating it? The Meraki AP has 2 SSID's, both tagged with a different vlan, which is plugged into a trunk port on the switch, then trunk port to router (same on other side). The hosts, when trying to connecting to the AP on either SSID, will not ping through or see the FW to get an IP from the DHCP scope on the FW.

Shawn Kingston
Level 1
Level 1

Well, just found that I had no VLANS on SW2, added them and same result, the AP clients will not get a response from the DHCP server.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card