Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice and Data over different paths

Scott Hanson
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Lets say I have a central site with remote sites connected over P2P circuits and running VoIP.  Can I bring in a cheaper Cable or DSL circuit and run my data over that link via VPN back to central but run my voice over the P2P circuit for better voice quality?

Thanks,

Replies rated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

AhmedSonba
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Scott,

Yes you can do that by using Policy-based routing, which will provide you with a tool for forwarding and routing of data packets based on policies that are perdefined by you, and you can do it either by access list, port number or some other criteria.

Please refer to the following link for more information about PBR

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009481d.shtml

Hope it will help

Ahmed Sonba

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes.

Thanks Paolo.  Just and FYI a bit more of a high level explanation like the other 2 guys would have earned a better rating.

AhmedSonba
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Scott,

Yes you can do that by using Policy-based routing, which will provide you with a tool for forwarding and routing of data packets based on policies that are perdefined by you, and you can do it either by access list, port number or some other criteria.

Please refer to the following link for more information about PBR

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a008009481d.shtml

Hope it will help

Ahmed Sonba

Thanks Ahmed!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As the others have noted, you can, for example using PBR, but it raises the complexity, especially if you need to deal with fail-over scenarios using PBR.

Personally, I prefer using QoS to insure service levels for VoIP, regardless of path.  I've also had success with VoIP over Internet connections, like cable or DSL, the trick being managing bandwidth on the connection to/from the ISP.  Although ISPs generally won't support QoS across the "Internet", usually congestion doesn't occur there first.

Thanks Joseph

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card