vrf forwarding ORANGE
 ip address 192.168.253.4 255.255.255.248

---Snip---

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

eduardopozo56
Level 1
Level 1

The whole purpose of using VRF's is to isolate one routing table (like the global with 193.191.5.189) from another (vrf ORANGE 192.168.253.99).

Virtual Routing and Forwarding (VRF) is an IP technology that allows multiple instances of a routing table to coexist on the same router at the same time. Because the routing instances are independent, the same or overlapping IP addresses can be used without conflict. "VRF" is also used to refer to a routing table instance that can exist in one or multiple instances per each VPN on a Provider Edge (PE) router.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/active_network_abstraction/3-7/reference/guide/ANARefGuide37/vrf.html

The only way to ping between VRF's is with an external network equipment or doing vrf leaking / route leaking / import export, etc

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

I believe that's correct.

You should not be able to Ping from one VRF to other VRF or to the global routing space.

Best regards,

Milan

eduardopozo56
Level 1
Level 1

The whole purpose of using VRF's is to isolate one routing table (like the global with 193.191.5.189) from another (vrf ORANGE 192.168.253.99).

Virtual Routing and Forwarding (VRF) is an IP technology that allows multiple instances of a routing table to coexist on the same router at the same time. Because the routing instances are independent, the same or overlapping IP addresses can be used without conflict. "VRF" is also used to refer to a routing table instance that can exist in one or multiple instances per each VPN on a Provider Edge (PE) router.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/net_mgmt/active_network_abstraction/3-7/reference/guide/ANARefGuide37/vrf.html

The only way to ping between VRF's is with an external network equipment or doing vrf leaking / route leaking / import export, etc

Yes I do know vrf is basically a virtual router in a router and is completely independent of each other, but I really need a way to do a route leak to be able to ping or rather connect to the other interface of the router. The PE is linked to that interface and thus the need to be able to connect to the g0/0/0 193.191.5.189. How do I leak the route to my vrf?

Hi, Option 2 described here might help you: http://routing-bits.com/2010/09/13/vrf-lite-route-leaking/ Best regards, Milan

richardadeolu
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks all for the help.. This really helped me a lot and pointed me to the right directions.

What I finally did actulay was use route-replicate, which replicates all routes from vrf to another.

Routes imported can be filtered by using route-maps, connected or all

ip prefix-list main2allvrf seq 5 permit 193.191.8.176/29 le 32
route-map main2allvrf permit 10
 match ip address prefix-list main2allvrf
!

vrf definition ORANGE
 !
 address-family ipv4
  route-replicate from vrf MAIN-VRF unicast all route-map main2allvrf
 exit-address-family

--------------------------------

Then set a default route for the vrf: