cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP: What happens if an interface fails ?

sandu_nastas1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm new to VRRP and I have a question that may sound stupid, but I couldn't find the answer in the Internet

If we consider the topolgy attached. We want to transfer info between R1 and R4 using R2 and R3. R1 has default-gateway: 192.168.1.3 and R4 : 10.0.0.3. We consider VRRP on R2 and R3, such as R3 is the master, and R2 - Backup (on both interfaces)

Ok. If R3 fails - R2 will take over. But, if only one interface from R3 fails (for example F0/0). Then - R1 starts transmitting to F0/0 of R2, which forwards the info to R4. But, when R4 replies - he will still send the data to R3's F1/0 interface, as he sees it as Master. R3 will have to drop the data, since it's F0/0 is down.

If we shut down both interfaces of R3 - then R2 completely takes over and the transmission goes well. How can this problem be solved ?

Thank you

4 Replies 4

Amit Aneja
Level 3
Level 3

This problem can be solved by tracking the interfaces & decrementing the priority of the HSRP interface if other interfaces are down.

If R3 is the master, then I assume it has higher priority, let's say 110.

R2 has 100, so it's backup.

If we configure tracking on R3 so that in case Fa0/0 goes does, it decrements the priority by 15 & makes it 95. This would call for a failover & R2 will become master.

Router3(config)# track 1 interface fa0/1 line-protocol

Router(config-track)# exit

Router3(config)# interface fa0/0

Router3(config-if)# ip address 192.168.1.x 255.0.0.0

Router3(config-if)# vrrp 1 ip 192.168.1.3

Router3(config-if)# vrrp 1 priority 110

Router3(config-if)# vrrp 1 track 1 decrement 15

Router3(config-if)# vrrp 1 preempt

Same goes for Fa0/1

Take a look at the foll doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipapp/configuration/guide/ipapp_vrrp.html#wp1065881

HTH,

Amit

Hey, thanks a lot. Now I get it.

sandu_nastas1
Level 1
Level 1

However - I still have one question: in this case - would it be correct to make the 2 interfaces of every router - members of the same VRRP Group ? or different groups ?.

For example: R2: F0/0 - VRRP 1 ; F1/0 - VRRP 2

R3: F0/0 - VRRP 1 ; F1/0 - VRRP 2

or

R2: F0/0 - VRRP 1 ; F1/0 - VRRP 1

R3: F0/0 - VRRP 1 ; F1/0 - VRRP 1

Thank you

Hi,

configuring tracking is only for interfaces not participating in the vrrp group.

Configuring multiple groups is often used for load sharing:

http://cciethebeginning.wordpress.com/2008/08/31/vrrp-and-load-sharing/

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: