Views
Helpful
Replies

VRRP with re-routing inter-vlan traffic

oj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My scenario is that I have two switches in DC configured with VRRP. Those two switches provide resilient connection to another switch in another building.

I also have two firewalls above the two VRRP switches.

routing

I would like to still make use of the VRRP feature and somehow stop inter-vlan routing on VRRP switches and re-route all traffic to firewalls to apply policies and then come back down. 

I understand I introduce extra hops with this and I can achieve this by only using L2 or VPC or even using ACLs at the switch level but I was wondering if there is a way to still use VRRP feature but send all traffic up to the firewall to control the traffic and come back down.

Thanks

11 Replies 11

ngkin2010
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I have the exactly same trouble in my previous environment. ACL is so hard to manage and we would like to migrate the access control to firewall instead.

But technically, we could not do it like what you say. All VLANs are sharing the same routing domain (or VRF), your core switch should have exactly 1 exit point (the directly connected route) to either VLAN. If you force it to route to firewall, then firewall route it back to core switch. It will introduce a routing loop.

To migrate the access control to firewall, you still have some options to choose:

Option 1. Migrate the SVI/gateway to the firewall
Simple solution, but you got to check out if your firewall could provide enough throughput for your business operation.

Option 2. Separate VLANs on Core Switch into different VRFs. In each VRFs, route the traffic to firewall.
Extremely complex when there are large number of VLANs. Not recommended, but it's still a solution.

Option 3. Configure your firewall into a transparent mode, so that it could inspect all layer 2 traffic.
This is the simplest solution, but not scalable. It's might not compatible to your existing design.

Option 4 (Just for FUN). Make use of DSCP to identify whether the packet had inspected by firewall or not. Then use PBR to route it to either Firewall or to VLAN directly.

Logic is simple:

a. DSCP for all incoming packet from VLANs are reset to 0

b. DSCP for all packet passing to Firewall are set to non-zero (e.g. AF31)

c. PBR - If DSCP = 0, pass to Firewall. 

interface Ethernet0/1
 description To Firewall
 ip address 192.168.254.254 255.255.255.252
 service-policy output DSCP-AF31
end

interface Ethernet0/2
 description To VLAN
 ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
 ip policy route-map ROUTE-TO-FIREWALL
 service-policy input RESET-DSCP

interface Ethernet0/0
 description To VLAN
 ip address 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0
 ip policy route-map ROUTE-TO-FIREWALL
 service-policy input RESET-DSCP

route-map ROUTE-TO-FIREWALL permit 10
 match ip address DSCP-0
 set ip next-hop 192.168.254.253

policy-map DSCP-AF31
 class class-default
  set dscp af31
policy-map RESET-DSCP
 class class-default
  set dscp default

ip access-list extended DSCP-0
permit ip any any dscp 0

I have tested it on GNS3 and it works. But again, this is just for fun, and not recommended to use it on production. 

No body would like to manage a network like this.

@ngkin2010 

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue. 

Trouble is I have around 50 buildings and want them to have two connections (one to each DC) using VRRP for failover.

I was thinking just using VPC across the DCs and then VPC each building (one connection to each DC). That way I can have the gateways on the firewalls which are 40g beasts.

However not sure if VPC is a good approach for that number of buildings/switches.

Hi,

Centralizing 50 building's network gateway into firewall will introduce much loading to your firewall. Imagine the inter-vlan traffic originally handled by your Nexus switch (depend on model, usually can handle over 100 Gbps), now migrate to firewall which usually have much lower throughput (depend on model, and if NGFW feature enabled, it will be even slower) might downgrade your overall network throughput.

For your second question, I can't comment tat much as I don't know what model you have got, how many of them you have.

But in general, vPC is a not a bad solution, make sure you have enough resilience & throughput of the across DCs circuit. For example, at least 2 across DC circuits with 1G/10G CIR.

@ngkin2010 they are Fortis 1800 so 2 x 40g bond down to switches per DC and then 2 x 40g VPC between DCs/switches. Then 1g VPC from each DC to a building switch. That should do it right?

Hi,

Not sure if you are meaning FortiGate 1800f at the top, and you are planning to migrate SVI to the FortiGate 1800.

Are they 2 in HA (active-passive) mode? or standalone mode?

You have got 2x 40G across DC fibers for vPC, are they used as peer link? how about the keepalive link? 

And it's hard to comment without these information, and better draw it out on a network diagram for further discussion. 

@ngkin2010 

2 x HA Active-Pasive FG 1801e at top with two 40g downlinks to one nexus in each DC.

Then 2 x VPC 40g peer links and 2 x 1g keep alives between DCs.

Was thinking two nexuses per DC but not sure how that would work with VPC as in two VPC'ed nexuses in each DC and then another VPC between DCs. Guess that is asking for loops.

Was thinking two nexuses per DC but not sure how that would work with VPC as in two VPC'ed nexuses in each DC and then another VPC between DCs. Guess that is asking for loops.

You may read about the document which describe DCI for 2 Nexus in each DC. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-7000-series-switches/118934-configure-nx7k-00.html

2 x HA Active-Pasive FG 1801e at top with two 40g downlinks to one nexus in each DC.

Then 2 x VPC 40g peer links and 2 x 1g keep alives between DCs.

I assume you are talking about FortiGate 1801F. According to the official datasheet, the throughput is around 140Gbps to 190 Gbps. Make sure you don't enable NGFW feature for inter-vlan taffic, otherwise the throughput will dramatically drop to 11 Gbps or even slower. 

You have got a high-end ForitGate device, I think it could handle the inter-vlan traffic well. 

Depending on the actual loading (as well as you upstream network design), you may also consider to load share your gateways to both FortiGate by separated vDOM. However, the traffic across vDOM may have longer forwarding path (FG -> NX -> NX -> FG). That's the trade off. 

tmp.png

@ngkin2010 you were a great help buddy. Thank you.

The Forti active active only gives an advantage for the UTM stuff. I'm happy with active passive for Fortis and have primary VPC switch where active Forti is so 40g inter-vlan traffic is plenty. 

I believe the passive Forti still passes traffic to active in case the primary nexus goes. But I'm going to have to test that.

Hello
We dont know at this time how your network is setup, it sounds like the FW is performing the inter-vlan routing or traffic s getting routed up-towards the fw for some policy inspection etc...

Can you post a topology diagram and maybe elaborate a bit more on your network

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi Paul

Currently the inter-vlan routing is done at the switch level where all the SVIs are configured. What I'm trying to get to is to make use of VRRP using SVIs across two DCs but I want to control the policies at the firewall level.

With the current set up all the routing is done on switches and all traffic is allowed between SVIs at switch level.

Basically I would like the VRRP gateways on the switches but then traffic between vlans to be routed up via firewall then back down to control the policies. Hope that makes sense.

DC1                   DC2

Firewall1 <----> Firewall2

|                         |

|                         |

Switch1 <--VRRP--> Switch2

\                               /

\                           /

\                       /

SwitchN

Thanks @paul driver 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco