cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VTP Pruning vs Allowing VLANs on Trunk ports

TOM FRANCHINA
Level 1
Level 1

We would like to know best approach to reduce VLAN traffic on our network. We are currently trunking all fiber ports 802.1q.

We have about 73 VLANs across the network. We have done a lot of research and there seem to be a lot of theoretical answers but no one who uses it in practice.

Here is our current configs for fiber ports between closets:

Cisco WMH6509

interface GigabitEthernet2/8
 description Fiber To STB Lab 3850
 switchport
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport mode trunk
 no ip address
 no snmp trap link-status
end

Cisco STB Lab 3850

interface GigabitEthernet1/1/1
 description Fiber To WMH6509
 switchport mode trunk
end

We are considering:

VTP Pruning Enable

or

switchport
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 26,99,109,188
 switchport mode trunk

Thanks,

Tom

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Manually pruning your vlan is my opinion the best option - It provide a total controllable approach to vtp pruning on the trunks

As for enabling vtp pruning dynamically it is the easiest option to deploy but I have found it not deterministic enough to trust which I have and found to my cost.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello

Manually pruning your vlan is my opinion the best option - It provide a total controllable approach to vtp pruning on the trunks

As for enabling vtp pruning dynamically it is the easiest option to deploy but I have found it not deterministic enough to trust which I have and found to my cost.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks Guys,

I work on a hospital network so I can't have any "surprises or quirks". I believe the allowed list is the safest and guaranteed to cut traffic based on your recommendations. It worked well in the test lab and was easy to see the results where prunning is much harder to evaluate. 

Thanks,

Tom

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of   the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As I have some years (cough - decades) software development experience, I lean toward automation solutions, so, for example, I often prefer dynamic routing over static routing, and so likewise, I prefer VTP over manual configuration on multiple devices.

However, VTP does have some "quirks".  For example, this year I ran into an issue where an edge switch had a new VLAN defined to a port which wasn't in use on a transit switch, so VTP auto pruning, pruned it off the transit's uplink trunk.  (I was a bit of a pain to find the cause as VTP doesn't prune right away - edge worked for a bit and then it stopped working.  One fix would have been to stop using VTP auto-pruning, across the whole VTP domain, but instead, configured VTP to not auto-prune the needed VLAN across the needed trunk.)

So, as Paul notes, VTP auto pruning might be easier to get going, but be prepared for unexpected incidents (again, not saying you'll have any, just be prepared).  So, if you're prepared, I would go with VTP auto pruning, but if you want to "play safe", go with Paul's recommendation.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card