Views
Helpful
Replies

VWIC-2MFT-T1 not recognized in 3640 12.2(2)XA4

m.palisson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a couple of VWIC-2MFT-T1 cards that work fine on a 2621, but are not recognized in a NM-2FE-2W module on a 3640:

System Bootstrap, Version 11.1(19)AA, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Copyright (c) 1998 by cisco Systems, Inc.

C3600 processor with 65536 Kbytes of main memory

Main memory is configured to 64 bit mode with parity disabled

program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0x9e2aa0

Self decompressing the image : #################################################

################################################################################

################################################################################

######### [OK]

MEMINIT: No iomem table entry for pa type 0xD8 in slot 1

%PA-2-UNDEFPA: Undefined Port Adaptor type 216 in bay 1

%C542-1-UNKNOWN_VIC: VNM(2), vic daughter card has an unknown id of 2B

The IOS loaded from flash is a 12.2(2)XA4.

According to Cisco, this card should work on a NM-2FE-2W module with 12.0(7)XK.

I don't believe the problem is the BOOT ROM, since the BOOT ROM on the 2621 is older that the minimum too, and it still works fine. I believe only the loaded IOS image need to match the mimum requirements, but does that mean that my 12.2(2)XA4 is older than 12.0.(7)XK ?

We don't have a Smartnet contract. Does that mean I'm stuck ? Can I put that card in a NM-2V on the same router, even if I use it only for data ? I know it would be a waste, but I am looking at a quick fix for now.

Thanks!

Max

3 Replies 3

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Have you tried reseating the NM on another slot ? Can you paste a sh version output ?

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

well, I don' have access right now, but there is NO listing of card in the sh ver at all. On the 2621, I do get it listed.

I tried another slot with the same result. I also switched with other cards (1T and 1B/U) and they work in that module. The WIC-2MFT-T1 also work in the 2621.

==> ALL the slots/modules & cards are in working order.

So bottom line seems to be the IOS release. I haven't checked the IOS path lately, so I'm confused about which version I even need. I tried a 12.1T1 image that didn't make a difference.

==> if it really needs 12.0(7)XK image as Cisco says, what other images would include these features ? Would a 12.2T do the trick, and how can I get it without a Smartnet contract or spending big money ? I was playing with that router in my own lab, and am stuck right now, and exhausted all options.

Thanks!

Max

You cant get software unless you have Smartnet. When I run your config on the router on Software Advisor I see the minimum compatible release in 12.2 code is 12.2(1d)- IP Only feature set. I would assume, all higher revisions should support this configuration.

On the T train the minimum compatible release is 12.2(2) T4.

Again when Cisco says "minimum compatible release" it does not mean lower revisions than indicated will not support the configuration. Its just that the indicated release is the one available for download.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card