Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN link testing

ncnaveen_arasu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

1) When we use the third part speed test tools available in internet to measure the speed of our WAN link from our client (LAN) which is having a private IP in an organization, we do get a latency,upload and download speed.

But this latency is calculated from client machine to the server which we contact to test download and upload a file using third party tools example, speed test or its the latency between our WAN termination point in an organization to the server.

2) Will it consider the latency within our LAN from client PC to  our internet gateway or its a latency of WAN termination point.

3) And one more point need to ask is if we have a broad band connectivity from ISP A for our home PC with 2MB link, is that 2MB refer to upload or download speed. is there any standard that if upload speed is 'X' amount download should be approximately '2x' or '3x' amount or vice versa.

4) In the case of internet connectivity, when we ping will it measure the latency from our client PC to the ISP from where we have taken the connection or   to the server (third party, ex: speed test etc)  through which we are testing the speed.

5) For testing the speed of a WAN link we do upload and download some size of file in some interval and calculate the speed. apart from this any method/procedure available to check the speed.

Please clarify my doubts .

Thanks

Naveen

1 Reply 1

ncnaveen_arasu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

Can someone please assist me with my doubts.

Thanks

Naveen

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card