Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Throughput/Bandwidth

vitor.nakano
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,
I need to choose a router with Policy Based Routing to support 2 Links (ISP), 8 servers and one server will be the Proxy Server for 350 users.

For this case, I will use two Internet links and one is 30Mbps and the other is 4mpbs.

I thought in the Router 1812 but I still have questions.

Design
ISP 1 (30Mbps)
                           <-> Router with (PBR) <-> Proxy Server <-> Users (350)
ISP 2 (04mbps)

Please someone help me?

Regards,

Vitor Nakano

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't really purchase the ISR G1, like the 1800 router, anymore since ISR G1 has been superseded by the G2.

For 34 Mbps, let say, 40 Mbps and you'd be looking at a 1921 ISR G2 (minimum).

This means that if you plan to upgrade either one of the bandwidth, your router may not have enough grunt to push that much.

An 2901 or 2911 would also suffice, plus you can add EWIC or ENM.  With the 1921, you can only use EWIC.

Cisco 2900 Series Integrated Services Routers Data Sheet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10537/data_sheet_c78_553896.html

Cisco 1921 Integrated Services Router

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7290/ps10589/data_sheet_c78-598389.html

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Some Cisco WAN Mbps bandwidth recommendations for the ISR series are:

1921 15

1941 25

2901 25

2911 35

2921 50

2951 75

Cisco recommends tend to be conservative, so for your 34 Mbps, those suggested for 25 or 35 Mbps will likely be fine.  However, as Leo notes there are other consideration in picking a particular model, such as interface support.

If you envision increasing your ISP bandwidths down-the-road (especially say within a year or so), you might want to purchase for that now.

PS:

BTW, since you mentioned 8 servers and 350 users, will you be routing internally?  If so, no ISR really supports typical modern LAN bandwidth.  For internal LAn routing I would suggest a small L3 switch.

PPS:

If you ISP hand-offs are Ethernet, also BTW, a L3 switch might be able to support both you WAN and LAN routing needs.  However, be careful over features, as L3 switches have many less than an ISR.  (Note: "Metro" L3 switches have some additional features.)

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't really purchase the ISR G1, like the 1800 router, anymore since ISR G1 has been superseded by the G2.

For 34 Mbps, let say, 40 Mbps and you'd be looking at a 1921 ISR G2 (minimum).

This means that if you plan to upgrade either one of the bandwidth, your router may not have enough grunt to push that much.

An 2901 or 2911 would also suffice, plus you can add EWIC or ENM.  With the 1921, you can only use EWIC.

Cisco 2900 Series Integrated Services Routers Data Sheet

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10537/data_sheet_c78_553896.html

Cisco 1921 Integrated Services Router

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7290/ps10589/data_sheet_c78-598389.html

Leo,

Thanks for help me and Do you commented about to put one more module (EWIC) right? What do you think of this?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5854/product_data_sheet0900aecd80581fe6_ps5855_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Thanks,

Vitor Nakano

Sure, Viktor.  That HWIC-1FE or HWIC-2FE is a favorite.

But you have to also consider of the bandwidth of the ENTIRE chassis and not just the interface.

For example, you want something that can push 40 Mbps and you got a 1921 and then you stuck a HWIC-1FE.  You then have issues pushing traffic out to the WAN. 

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Some Cisco WAN Mbps bandwidth recommendations for the ISR series are:

1921 15

1941 25

2901 25

2911 35

2921 50

2951 75

Cisco recommends tend to be conservative, so for your 34 Mbps, those suggested for 25 or 35 Mbps will likely be fine.  However, as Leo notes there are other consideration in picking a particular model, such as interface support.

If you envision increasing your ISP bandwidths down-the-road (especially say within a year or so), you might want to purchase for that now.

PS:

BTW, since you mentioned 8 servers and 350 users, will you be routing internally?  If so, no ISR really supports typical modern LAN bandwidth.  For internal LAn routing I would suggest a small L3 switch.

PPS:

If you ISP hand-offs are Ethernet, also BTW, a L3 switch might be able to support both you WAN and LAN routing needs.  However, be careful over features, as L3 switches have many less than an ISR.  (Note: "Metro" L3 switches have some additional features.)

Joseph,

Thanks for help me and Where did you take these informations about Cisco WAN Mbps bandwidth recommendations?

Could you share this link/information?

Thanks,

Vitor Nakano

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Victor, I've misplaced the original link, but I've attached a copy of the document.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card