login
transport input all
!

with no Route Map permit 20 the 1.1.1.0 network not in table:

Now i do this;

route-map FILTER_IN permit 10
match ip address NET_1
!
route-map FILTER_IN permit 20   (I added this)
!
!

Now 1.1.1.0 in table

2023-06-01 22_44_15-Greenshot capture form.png

What is the logic behind this? Since 1.1.1.0 already denied in permit 10, even though permit 20 matches everything it's strange to me it is letting in     1.1.1.0....   Any one have insight as to if this is a design choice,  or simply because of the permit all for the permit 20  of the route map.. 

8 Replies 8

It not issue of route-map it issue of acl.

Can you check show ip eigrp topolgy in router originate this prefix' what is the mask and subnet.

You need to use same mask and subnet.

And again friend' try avoiding using acl in filter prefix' use prefix-list.

MHM

I deleted the lab, this was the only part bugging me, and I deleted it once finished

Hello,

it does not look logical indeed. Apparently the second 'catch-all' route map entry allows everything and overrides the 'deny' statement in the first route-map statement. In theory, the processing of the route map should stop after the first match.

Not sure if this is a bug or by design. The second route map statement is, obviously, redundant and not necessary...

This was taken from networklessons EIGRP filtering lesson:

https://networklessons.com/eigrp/eigrp-route-map-filtering

It didn't look like a bug he seems to have done  it intentional ~  maybe I missed something along the way. MHM mentioned a good point it could have been related to the application of acl. However if this was the case why would it get blocked at permit 10.

Actually I analyze this issue but forget to write answer'

images.png

Now 

First route-map without permit 20

The 1.0.0.0 is match acl but this acl is deny so the route-map dont do any action and it check next route-map line abd since here there is no more line the prefix no effect'

Note' the 1.0.0.0 hit the first acl line so it not check permit any in same acl

Second route-map with permit 20

Here as above since acl line is deny then route-map check next route-map line and here there is and any route-map permit without match meaning allow anything' so 1.0.0.0 is advertise

MHM

Solution if you still want to use acl is

Route-map mhm deny 10

Match ip address 10

Route-map mhm permit 20

!

Ip access-list standard 10

Permit 1.0.0.0 0.0.0.255

MHM

Hello,

in the Networklessons lab, they don't use the second 'catch-all' route map entry, but it shouldn't matter, in theory, whether you use it or not, because the route should have been caught and subsequently denied by the first entry.

I am not sure if you have a valid account for Networklessons, but if you do, maybe you can ask Rene why it works the way it works. I tried to debug the route maps, but nothing really showed up...if you get an answer, post it here, it would be interesting to see.

Hello
The logic I beleive is:
A route-map that permits and the ACL that denies the route-map match is not found as such the next route-map stanza is checked, However If you use a route-map with a deny clause,and with an ACL that permits then the route will be filtered

example:
access-list 1 permit  1.1.0.0 0.0.0.255

route-map FILTER_IN deny  10

match ip address 1

route-map FILTER_IN permit 100

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card