cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What are the problem of OSPF type broadcast equivalent to Layer 2?

Maivoko
Level 1
Level 1

In the past, Layer 2 has broadcast to introduce flapping or looping, and this can be solved by using one switch one VLAN.

when people change to use layer 3 OSPF type broadcast for access and distribution layer

When people used OSPF broadcast type normally without problem for a few years, but suddenly one day can not connect to internet, What are the problem of OSPF type broadcast after a long years of usage? and How to solve?

I know route tag to solve routing loop but what are the problem originally not happened immediately and used for a few months or years, only after a period of months, the OSPF problem show?

Any one have these experience?

6 Replies 6

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @Maivoko 

Over time, as OSPF routers exchange information, the size of the OSPF database can grow, leading to database overload. This can cause delays in the routing table update process and impact network performance.

=> Regularly optimize the OSPF database by removing unnecessary routes, reducing the number of LSAs, and limiting the size of the OSPF database.

Also, as OSPF routers exchange information, network congestion can occur, leading to delays and packet loss. This can impact network performance and cause connectivity issues.

=> Use Quality of Service (QoS) mechanisms such as traffic shaping or prioritization to manage OSPF network congestion and prioritize critical traffic

Regular monitoring and maintenance of the network can help prevent issues.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

which command can know delays and packet loss and network performance among the area of OSPF besides traceroute and ping ?

which command can optimize the OSPF database by removing unnecessary routes when no summary and stub had already been used? do you mean summarization and ACL block? any more methods?

Hello @Maivoko 

To check delays and packet loss in an OSPF network, you can use the following commands:

show ip ospf interface: This command displays the OSPF configuration and interface status, including the interface's IP address, network type, and MTU. It also shows statistics such as the number of packets sent and received, along with errors and drops.

show ip ospf neighbor: This command displays the status of OSPF neighbors, including their IP address, priority, and state. It also shows the amount of time since the last hello packet was received and the amount of time until the next hello packet is expected.

show ip ospf database: This command displays the contents of the OSPF database, including the router's ID, the area it belongs to, and the LSAs it has received. It also shows the age of each LSA, the advertising router's ID, and the checksum.

To optimize the OSPF database, you can use the following methods:

Summarization: OSPF summarization reduces the number of LSAs in the database by combining multiple networks into a single route advertisement. This can significantly reduce the size of the OSPF database, which in turn reduces the memory and processing power required by OSPF routers.

ACLs can be used to filter OSPF route advertisements to prevent unnecessary routes from being added to the OSPF database. This can reduce the size of the OSPF database and improve routing performance.

Route filtering: Route filtering can be used to remove unnecessary routes from the OSPF database. This is done by configuring the router to only accept routes that meet certain criteria, such as those that match a particular prefix or have a certain metric value.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

sorry what is relate of OSPF lsa2 with broadcast with internet loss??
can I see show topology ?

I have no topology diagram, I just imagine, but since graph theory said tree is a diagram without loop

so, I think correct diagram is a tree like diagram

Some people did not try VSS or use one switch one VLAN because of budget and space and change to Layer 3 OSPF

So, I wonder what issue in this kind of new game before it happened in my work.

If Distribution layer or access layer have problem, it of course has internet loss.

you need to read more about OSPF, you have many Q.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card