cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what does the "E" & "A" at the end of Cisco Switch name mean ?

keeran
Level 1
Level 1

Every Cisco Switch Serie has Switches which end with "E" & "A". For instance "C9200L-24T-4X-A" & "C9200L-24T-4X-E".

What does those A & E mean ? I don't notice any deep differences between them.

Thx in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

@keeran wrote:

So, if i buy C9200L-24T-4X-E, can't i use Advantage license ?

Cisco's licensing regime is (meant to be) confusing.  Do not be confused with Network- and DNAC Licenses.  They are two very different things.  

DNAC License is a Cisco "tax":  Anyone must buy DNAC License even if DNAC appliance is not used.  Once the 3-year DNAC license lapses, do not worry about it.  If the DNAC License expires, nothing will happen. 

Network License is where the function of the switch is.  The base license is Essentials.  Anyone can buy a license upgrade, from Essentials to Advantage, and then enable it on the switch. 

Some people buy Network Essentials license and enable the Advantage License at a later date.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

E = Essentials (base license)

A = Advantage

Thank you for the reply. So, if i buy C9200L-24T-4X-E, can't i use Advantage license ?

@keeran wrote:

So, if i buy C9200L-24T-4X-E, can't i use Advantage license ?

Cisco's licensing regime is (meant to be) confusing.  Do not be confused with Network- and DNAC Licenses.  They are two very different things.  

DNAC License is a Cisco "tax":  Anyone must buy DNAC License even if DNAC appliance is not used.  Once the 3-year DNAC license lapses, do not worry about it.  If the DNAC License expires, nothing will happen. 

Network License is where the function of the switch is.  The base license is Essentials.  Anyone can buy a license upgrade, from Essentials to Advantage, and then enable it on the switch. 

Some people buy Network Essentials license and enable the Advantage License at a later date.

Thank you for this explanation. I just started to understand this licensing thing.

For my understanding:

• If i buy the C9200L-24T-4X-E Switch, it comes with essentials license and C9200L-24T-4X-A comes with advanced license ?
  • What about the price ? Is the price included in the Switch's Price or does this cost extra ?

@keeran wrote:
  • What about the price ? Is the price included in the Switch's Price or does this cost extra ?

If the switch is purchased with Network Advantage license (-A) then it comes with a Network Advantage license.  Otherwise, the default is Network Essentials license.

got it SIR. Thank you for the help

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card