cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is EVPN?

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Is EVPN the same as VPLS but uses BGP to  distribute the Mac addresses?

What is the main difference ?

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @carl_townshend ,

EVPN is a newer technology and it has advantages over VPLS

in VPLS even when using MP BGP the address family in use does not advertise MAC addresses but site-ids "locations" and MAC address learning is still traffic driven.

Instead in EVPN the specific different address family used in MP BGP allows to advertise a MAC address, or a MAC address and the associated IP address. This provides the great advantage that unknown unicast destinations do not cause a flooding of frames to all remote sites until the MAC address is seen back.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi

So what does VPLS do in regard to flooding BUM traffic vs EVPN?

Does VPLS always need BGP?

Also with EVPN, is this the same as Eompls?

Hello @carl_townshend ,

>> So what does VPLS do in regard to flooding BUM traffic vs EVPN?

in VPLS the network engineer has to take care of BUM flooding by limiting this type of traffic in EVPN the more advanced signaling avoids the need for BUM flooding.

>> Does VPLS always need BGP?

No, BGP is not always needed in VPLS there are three options / implementations:

a) manual neighbor provisioning that uses LDP to build pseudowires between configured neighbors. Difficult to manage when adding a new site/PE a change is needed in all other sites.

b) VPLS LDP with MP BGP autodiscovery, it uses a special BGP address family with the only objective to find interesting neighbors by using the route target concept then LDP is used to build a full mesh of pseudowires with all those PE that have advertised their site-ids using the same route-target value.

c) VPLS using MP BGP and MP BGP autodiscovery: a different address family is used the basic idea is the same but pseudowires are built in automatic by MP BGP using the concept of base label and Site-id.

A remote PE will use an internal MPLS label VC label = base label + its own site-id#.

>> Also with EVPN, is this the same as Eompls?

No, EoMPLS refers to the first L2 service uses LDP and it is point to point in nature. EVPN is not limited to point to point topology like VPLS.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hallo Giuseppe,

thank you for the explanation.

Could you tell me please, how can i find out, if the EVPN-Multihoming (All/single-Active) Feature ist supported or not?

I tryied to configure my Router after this Document, but there are many lines, which does not exist in the Router. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/mp_l2_vpns/configuration/xe-16-11/mp-l2-vpns-xe-16-11-book/evpn-multihoming.html

Cisco IOS XE Software, Version 16.11.01a  Version 16.11.1a, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

ASR 903 Series Router Chassis

A900-RSP2A-128

Configuration register is 0x2102

Thank you in advance,

Lina

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card