Views
Helpful
Replies

Which Router to use

icemannz01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would like to ask for some help in choosing the correct Cisco Router.

The Router's that I need are for a customer that will use 4 of them to create a VPN Link between sites.

All the sites are connected to the internet via VDSL - so the routers would need to support this.

The 4 sites would have about 20 users in each.

What I want to do is connect all the 4 sites together in a VPN Link so that all 4 sites can access each of the other 3 sites.

As I am not that familiar with Cisco Routers I would like some suggestions on the best router to use.

We want to keep the costs down as much as possible but will require a good solid VPN link.

Also any information on the best type of VPN to setup would be appreciated.

ie: we want the vpn to be up all the time and if it fails for some reason then it should automatically reconnect.

Would you use a star topology or a mesh ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Phil

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

10.5 Mbps per site plus encryption? I think you're looking at an 890 router.

Refer to the link below:
http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Take note, with CEF enabled, the vales are expressed in half duplex, no encryption.

If you want to know the rated WAN speed in full duplex and with encryption then take e value and factor by four.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

View solution in original post

23 Replies 23

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hmmmm ... What is your individual WAN speed?

Hi, not very fast but it would average about 10 meg down and about 1.5 meg up

That's for all sites including the core? 10.5 Mbps only?

Ummmm ... Your response is beginning to sound like this is a SCHOOL WORK.

dreams_as_money
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Friend 2900 series router will be enough for your sites

for now you may think about 2900 ISRg2

Thanks

HI and thanks for your replys,

Can you tell me what the ISRg2 means - is that a model number.

The speed is about average for here as I live in New Zealand and our speeds are nothing like what you could get.

So if i go with the 2900, do I then look to create a star topology vpn or a mesh,

I need each site to be able to communicate with each other but maybe that is possible with a star topology and the correct rules, I am not sure.

I feel your pain. Australia here.

Hi all,

just had a look at the price of the router and it is getting up there when I need 4 of them.

I would love to purchase 4 of them and go ahead but I suspect the customer is going to fall over when they see the total cost.

Is it not possible to go for a smaller router or would that not be wise ?

Hi,

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10537/data_sheet_c78_553896.html

check this link

You may use ipsec or  DMVPN for future purposes

it is very scalable and easy to integrate

Thanks

Regards

10.5 Mbps per site plus encryption? I think you're looking at an 890 router.

Refer to the link below:
http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Take note, with CEF enabled, the vales are expressed in half duplex, no encryption.

If you want to know the rated WAN speed in full duplex and with encryption then take e value and factor by four.

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts.

Hi LEO, can you tell me what you said duplex and full duplex mean. Thank you!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

can you tell me what you said duplex and full duplex mean.

When you mean half duplex, it means you measure a one-way data traffic, it's either send OR receive.

When one says full duplex, this means you are measuring a scenario where your appliance is sending and receving data at the same time. 

Thanks LEO , so if my download is 30Mbps, upload is 8Mbps,  and I also want to vpn , so (30+8) * 2 * 2 = 152Mbps.

I should at least ISR G2 1941 , right ?

I should at least ISR G2 1941 , right ?

Worst-case scenario, yes.

Joseph keeps reminding me that the "Numbers are given with 64 byte packet size, IP only, and are only an indication of raw switching performance." is a very conservative number.

Hence, you'd want to consider the "worst-case scenario".

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card