cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless LAN network equipment (AP, PoE, Switches)

hamkor0414
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys

I need your expertise in some decision making process. 

It's a little overwhelming in current market, when choosing and combining devices together.

I am designing a WLAN network at home, with 3-4 AP (preferably with PoE) and maybe to Gigabit switches.

Can you suggest any AP Cisco devices and PoE switches to support them please.

these are my finding so far Cisco WAP121-E-K9-G5 Small Business Wireless-N Access Point with Power over Ethernet

and I am wondering if this works with TP-LINK TL-SG1008P 8 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Desktop Switch with 4-Port PoE

I will be grateful if you also can suggest your favourite devices (cost in mind :) )

Thank you at advance

Sam

PS also have attached floor plan (only ground floor) 1st floor has 3 bedrooms and office

2 Replies 2

JOSE CHAUCA
Level 1
Level 1

Hi hamkor0414,

To design accurately, it is better to first perform a site survey based on the dimensions of the building, type of walls, obstacles, AP coverage, antenna type/gain... We can also use tools like "Ekahau Site Survey" to do modeling based on the above parameters.

Your attached diagram is not accurate, but I could deduce the coverage and amount of APs you need by using Ekahau software.

The WAP121 is a good choice for a home network, but when the switch is needed one more robust as a SG300-10P that supports up to 62W Poe is manageable if routing, or qos vlan is needed.

I hope the information is useful to you

Regards

Jose

Thank your very much for your advice and help Jose.

Can I also ask if any additional informatios to help my skills and improve my professional approach.

As you know there are countless materials and sources, opinions those make us frustrated and lost.

can you list of the tools used buy professionals, and maybe links to the sites.

Where can I get reliable and honest network product reviews.

thank you at advance for your help 

Sam

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card