Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 4402

MohamedHussen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team

I have cisco WLC 4402 for the first time, I want to login, I connected my console (serial end to the serial line of the WLC and RJ45 to my PC), I am using putty done all setting as per the doco but I get no CLI connection, tried teraterm also no lack, I tried to CDP and connected switch to the service port and I see no CDP.

What am I doing wrong, please help, How can I login to the WLC

Thank you in adavance
Mo

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure the setting for your term is 8-N-1.  Do you see any amber lights at all that could reflect an issue with the controller?

-Scott

*** Please rate helpful posts ***

-Scott

Scott Thanks for your reply, there is no amber lights, the green light is ON with no issue and yes my setting is 8-N-1 with baud 9600

Thanks

Seems like you should be able to see output from the console. In the past, others had issues seeing output from the console and it was due to the USB to serial adapter they used.  All I can say is if you have an AP, connect to the console and power up the AP. If you don't see any output, then there is a compatibility issue with your USB to serial adapter.  

-Scott

-Scott

Make sure you are using a crossover cable to the WLC to the PC!

Get the correct USB-Serial drivers(unless your PC has native Serial)

Make sure you set the correct COM port in PuTTy.

It won't be a crossover cable, if you're using the serial port.  A cisco console these days is RJ-45 at one end (for the cisco device), and DB9 (conventional serial) at the other end.  This can be connected to a "working" USB-to-serial adapter, or the serial port on a typical desktop; or many docking stations. 

Note if you use the serial port in a docking station, you probably have to fully reboot the laptop to activate the docking station serial - hibernation and "sleep" mode may not work.  As suggested, connect to an AP serial port and make sure you see output on startup, then move the cable to the controller or any other Cisco device (they all have serial RJ45 console ports at this time).

kparliment1
Level 1
Level 1

Also having this exact same issue. Did you manage to connect? My cables work properly as I am able to connect to APs, but unable to connect to the WLC. I have lost my password for the GUI and need to console in to reset to factory defaults, but I can not seem to get a connection.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card